Cortisol is a steroid also referred to as hydrocortisone produced by adrenal gland. It is an essential hormone very useful in adrenal crisis, it some times act as a life saving hormone in stressful physical situations.
Deficiency Of Cortisol
Adrenals are two glands on top of kidney, they produce cortisol.
The primary function of cortisol is to increase blood sugar, suppress immune response and aid in metabolism. It also decreases bone formation.
Cortisol Deficiency Symptoms
Adrenal crisis is a condition arising in our body when the demand for cortisol is more than what is available. In such a deficiency situation of cortisol a person may present with following symptoms:
- Abdominal pain
- Movement of body becomes sluggish
- Excessive sweating of palms, foot, and face.
- Low blood sugar.
- Craving of salt.
- Fainting spell.
- Shaking and chilly feeling.
In an adrenal crisis a person having less supply of cortisol hormone may go into shock, coma and seizure. And this is possible if the emergency treatment is delayed.
Causes Of Cortisol Deficiency
Causes in adrenal crisis can be due to steroid withdrawal and physiological stress conditions such as:
- Addisons diseases.
- Severe burns
- Heart attack.
- Bacterial infections
- If the treatment is stopped suddenly without tapering the dose.
- Septic shock.
- Massage therapy can reduce cortisol production.
- Intercourse can reduce cortisol level.
Treatment For Cortisol Deficiency
Natural treatment for deficiency of cortisol includes:
- Stress and anxiety management by meditation and yoga.
- Use of herbs like liquorice.
- Use of vitamin C and foods containing it such as fruits and green leafy vegetables.