Cholesterol is a waxy alcohol, fat-like substance present in the body. Cholesterol is essential for the normal functioning of the body’s processes and to establish proper membrane permeability and fluidity. Cholesterol plays an important part in an individual’s cardio-vascular health. Raised blood cholesterol is the foremost risk factor for coronary heart disease and stroke. Hence, it is vital to monitor the cholesterol level regularly.
Serum cholesterol is classified by levels. Factors such as age, sex, race, family history, smoking, high blood pressure, diet, exercise, obesity and diabetes lay a pivotal role as well.
Experts have set up healthy and normal cholesterol range for total cholesterol, HDL cholesterol and LDL cholesterol. They’re given below:
Cholesterol Range Chart
|Total cholesterol||Less than 200||200 to 240||More than 250|
|HDH cholesterol||More than 50||50 to 35||Less than 35|
|LDL cholesterol||Less than 130||130 to 160||More than 200|
|Triglycerides||Less than 150||150 to 500||More than 500|
Normal Cholesterol Range For Women
- Ideally, the Total Cholesterol level should be below 200 mg/dl.
- HDL cholesterol or high density lipoprotein cholesterol level must be more than 50 mg/dl.
- LDL, or low-density lipoprotein, cholesterol should be below 100 mg/dl.
- Triglyceride Level must be less than 150 mg/dl.
Women need to take greater care and precaution, since they face hormonal changes during menopause, often causing LDL cholesterol to rise and HDL cholesterol to reduce. This greatly increases a post-menopausal woman’s risk for cardio-vascular disorders.
Cholesterol Ranges For Children
- Cholesterol is not something you may be anxious about, when it comes to your child’s health. Nonetheless, kids are in just as much danger as adults, of developing high cholesterol and consequent heart troubles.
- Children in the age range of 2 to 19 years, the LDL ought to be less than 130 mg and HDL higher than 35 mg.
Key management strategy to keep cholesterol levels healthy is an appropriate, healthy and wholesome diet, regular exercise and suitable lifestyle modifications.