Chest pain is a common complaint and tends to cause a lot of worry, anguish and apprehension in the patient. Invariably, the pain is attributed to a heart attack or a cardio-vascular disorder.
However, not all chest pains have a cause related to cardio-vascular ailments. There are other organs / structures in the thoracic cavity that could be responsible for the pain and an accurate diagnosis is decidedly essential to embark on the right treatment promptly.
Causes For Chest Pain In Young Women
By and large, young women are less liable to heart diseases until they reach menopause, this is because, estrogen offers significant protection and prevents the development of atherosclerosis and cardiac illnesses.Despite this, there are many young to middle aged, menstruating women, who complain of chest pain and are fairly distressed about it.
The following conditions are known to trigger chest pain:
Cardio Causes Of Chest Pain
- Angina Pectoris
- Myocardial Infarction (heart attack)
- CAD (coronary artery disease resulting in ischemia or reduced blood supply)
- Aortic Stenosis
- Mitral Valve Prolapse
- Gastro-esophageal reflux, esophageal rupture, Peptic Ulcer Disease
- Anxiety, depression and cardiac psychosis
Pulmonary Causes Of Chest Pain
- Lesions of the Cervical and / or Thoracic Spine
- Herpes Zoster
- Chest wall pain
- Pulmonary embolus or pulmonary infarction
- Pneumonia with pleural involvement
Treatment For Chest Pain
The treatment plan largely depends on the diagnosis.A complete examination and investigation helps reveal the exact cause and assist the physician in deciding the line of treatment that would be most appropriate.