Lower right abdominal pain may be the result of a wide range of conditions / complications. Several organs are located on the lower right side of the abdomen, which include: the appendix, cecum, lower part of the kidney, right ovary, right fallopian tube, parts of the small intestine, lower part of the liver and lymph nodes.
In fact pain in lower right region is one of the frequent causes for people to visit emergency room. Pain in this area is usually acute in onset, although in some cases it can be chronic.Pain can be sharp shooting or dull aching depending on the underlying condition. Usually together with pain there are associated symptoms such as vomiting, fever, tenderness over abdomen, constipation, gaseous distension, rapid pulse etc.
Since there are many structures situated in the lower right side of abdomen, in many cases it becomes difficult to pin point the origin of pain from a particular disorder. Physicians often rely on various diagnostic aids such as physical examination, blood, urine, stool tests, X-ray and songraphy to confirm the ailment.
Causes Of Pain In Lower Right Abdomen
Given below is a list of possible causes of lower right abdominal pain.
Some of the causes may remain same in men and women, while some may be exclusive only to one gender. This is because certain organs such as ovary, fallopian tube are present in females only, while testes are present only in males.
Causes pertaining to both males and females:
- Appendicitis: Appendicitis is one of the most common causes for pain in right lower abdomen. The condition occurs due to inflammation of appendix. Appendix is hollow tiny worm like structure; it is a part of large intestine. Appendix becomes inflamed when it is either blocked by fecolith or gets infected. In the beginning pain occur around the belly button but gradually after few hours it settles in the right quadrant of lower abdomen. Patient suffering from appendicitis complains of excruciating and sharp pain in that region. The area becomes sensitive and tender to touch. Vomiting, fever and nausea are usually accompanying symptoms. In some cases there is history of constipation. Acute appendicitis is an emergency condition and requires immediate medical attention.
- Right sided ureteric stone: Ureter is a part of urinary tract. It is a tube which connects kidney to urinary bladder. A stone which may have descended from right kidney may get impacted in the lower ureter giving rise to pain in lower right abdomen. Patient may have acute pain in right side of abdomen. The pain may radiate to testes in men and labia in females. Pain may be constant or intermittent. Nausea, vomiting, right sided backache, blood in urine, burning sensation during urination, fever, etc are characteristic symptoms.
- Constipation: A person is said to be constipated when his bowel movements are less than 3 times in a week. The stools are hard and person has to strain during each bowel movement. Pain reduces after bowel movement. Constipation can be cured by eating right diet. Diet consisting vegetables and fruits which contain lots of fibers are beneficial in relieving constipation. Occasionally laxative may be necessary to make stool soft.
- Amoebic colitis: It is a common intestinal disorder caused due to tiny organisms called ameba. Contamination of water and food with amoeba is mainly responsible for this condition. Unhygienic practice is also one of the reasons for amoebic colitis. Patient complains of pain in abdomen, frequent sticky stools, decreased appetite, nausea, tiredness etc. A course of anti amebic medication usually helps to relive the problem.
Causes Of Lower Right Abdominal Pain In Females
- Ectopic pregnancy: It is an abnormal pregnancy in fallopian tube. When pregnancy occurs in right fallopian tube there is acute and excruciating pain in right lower abdomen. Usually it occurs in early days of pregnancy. The condition is serious and needs immediate medical aid.
- Rupture of ovarian cyst: Cyst in right ovary may give rise to pain in lower right abdomen. If it is ruptured there is intense pain. It may cause infection in peritoneum.
- Endometriosis: This condition can give rise to severe pain in right side of abdomen. Endometriosis occurs when the tissue lining the interior of uterus begins to grow on the outer side of uterus, once detected the condition can be cured with medications.
- Pelvic inflammatory diseases (PID): Often Infection in the genito- urinary tract causes pain in lower abdomen and pelvic region. One of the reasons for PID is sexually transmitted disease. PID frequently leads to infertility in women. The condition needs medical treatment.
What Causes Pain In Lower Right Abdomen In Males?
- Inguinal hernia: Torsion or impacted right inguinal hernia which is commonly seen in males is one of the frequent causes of pain in lower abdomen. Hernia can occur both in young as well as elderly individuals.
- Right testicular torsion: Torsion of right testes is associated with extreme pain in right lower abdomen and pelvic region. There is twisting of testes and spermatic cord as a result blood supply to testes is hampered.
- Urinary tract infection: A person suffering from infection in bladder may complain of pain in lower abdomen. It is usually a bacterial infection. Gonorrhea is one of the reasons for urinary tract infection. It is a sexually transmitted disease. There may be associated symptoms such as burning urine, fever, pain in kidney, vomiting, red colored urine etc. UTI can be completely cured with medicines.