Itchy Private Area
Itching in private parts is very commonly seen in men and women. Itching in private parts is not a serious condition, but is an embarrassing situation for the person, especially when in crowd or in office. It is not a disease, but a symptom of the disease.
Causes of Itching in Male Private Parts
Itching in male private area is around the groins, and the folds of thighs, on buttocks and anus. It is caused due to fungal infection. The other cause of itching is a disease called scabies. The causative organism is sarcoptes scabi.Ring worm in groins is also commonly seen in men. In anal region itching is due to hook worms, protruding pile and fissure. Moisture and perspiration are the predisposing factors for itching in private parts in men.
Causes of Itching in Private Parts in Females
Including the above causes of itching in male, female itching in vagina may be due to unhygienic condition during the menstruation period. Itching in vagina may be due to trichomonial infection and yeast infection. Leucorrhea may also be one of the reasons for itching in private parts in females.Psoriasis and eczema in private parts can cause itching.
Treatment For Itching in Private Parts
- Treating the cause will stop the itch. The cause can be scabies, fungus, psoriasis, ringworm, hookworm, eczema etc.
- Do not scratch is the first principle, it may lead to infection.
- Trim your nails. See also How to treat male yeast infection?
- Wear cotton undergarments to prevent perspiration.
- Maintain personal hygiene.
- Put 2 cups of oatmeal in a tub, before taking a bath in it. It is a good remedy for itching in private parts.
- Pour I cup of vinegar in a bath tub, take bath in that water, it is an effective remedy for itching in private parts.
- Apply coconut oil and lime juice in affected genital area to get relief from itching.