Piles or hemorrhoids are swollen veins of anal tissue. The most likely cause of piles is chronic constipation. The other important cause of piles is restriction of blood flow to the abdomen caused by sitting for long hours. Obesity aggravates the condition. The person has to strain to pass a bowel motion when he is constipated.
Diet has more to do with constipation. People are found to suffer from constipation when they eat excessive amount of refined foods which contain little or no fiber. People not drinking enough water or liquids tend to get constipated.
To treat piles, it is important to allow the intestines to rest in order to normalize the bowel movement. And to do that, a diet for piles patient must be adhered to.
Dietary Remedies For Hemorrhoid Sufferers
- Eat foods that are high in fiber such as fresh fruits and vegetables. For breakfast, take multi-grain bread, a glass of fruit juice, and lots of salads. Brown rice in particular is densely packed with insoluble fiber. Following diet which consists of these foods helps to prevent people getting piles in the first place. Oats contain cellular fiber and it is particularly good for treating constipation because it helps to ease bowel movement. It forms soft stools.
- To make passing of stool an easier task, drink higher amount of water than the recommended 8 glasses of water a day. An effective diet for those with piles must also include buttermilk, yoghurt, and plenty of fruit juices. Taking a glass of warm milk before retiring to bed is also recommended.
- To allow your intestines to rest and to make your digestion process easier for your system, eat lightly and avoid meats. Junk foods, processed foods, and foods obtained from fast-food chains must be avoided as they are usually salty, greasy, and fatty. Spicy foods must also be avoided as they make bowel movement even more difficult and exacerbate the condition.
- Chronic bleeding piles may result in iron deficiency anemia. Therefore people suffering from bleeding piles should eat lot of foods that are rich in iron. Good food sources of iron include liver, pulses, nuts, and dark green vegetables.
- Vitamin C helps iron absorption from the intestine. Eat fruits and foods that are rich in vitamin C. Lemon, oranges, kiwi fruit etc are good sources of vitamin C.
Fruit Diet For Piles Patients
- Boil the peels of pomegranate with water and drink a glassful of the boiled water once in the morning and once in the evening.
- Another effective diet for those suffering from piles is a cup of milk with mashed ripe banana. This does not only treat piles, it could also take the pain caused by difficulty in passing stool.
- Because of its laxative properties fig is an excellent remedy for piles. Soak 3 to 4 dried figs in water. Keep it overnight. Ea them with milk next morning. Since figs are rich in fibers, it helps easy bowel movement. Regular use of figs helps to cure piles in two to three weeks.
- Onions are valuable in bleeding piles. Eat about 30 grams of onions with 60 grams of sugar. It helps to cure bleeding piles.