Natural Cold Remedies While Breastfeeding
To catch a cold in breastfeeding mother is very common problem faced in post pregnancy period. It is a minor ailment as such, but due to her proximity to the baby, mother should remain careful as she may infect the child with this cold virus.
Cold usually lasts for 5 to 7 days, breastfeeding mother should be more careful, she should wear a scarf or a mask around her mouth and nose while feeding her child.
A proper hygienic measure such as washing hands before feeding and keeping soiled handkerchief away from the baby is required.
Avoid kissing the baby.
Since antibiotics and other cold medicines can pass through the mother’s milk, conventional medicines may be harmful to the child.
Home Remedies for Cold While Breastfeeding
- Steam inhalation is one of the best home remedy for cold while breast feeding. All you have to do is inhale steam prepared from boiling water. You can add eucalyptus oil in the water.
- Soup and broths are also helpful in relieving cold.
- Ginger tea also helps in treating cold.
- Lime juice and honey are beneficial as lime juice contains vitamin C, which helps treating viral cold in breastfeeding mother.
- Avoid colas, cold food and cold drinks.
- If the symptoms persist or if you have fever, consult your doctor.
Do not stop breastfeeding, mother’s milk contain plenty of element’s that boost the immunity in the child. Unless the mother is extremely sick and the doctor has recommended stopping breastfeeding.