A common cold or allergic rhinitis can be extremely discomforting especially when a person starts sneezing and has to repeatedly blow off his running nose. This may also lead to red eyes and dry chapped nose. Having chapped nose is common and you cannot avoid it especially during winter months when usually your skin tends to get dry all over. Although chapped nose is minor problem, it can be painful and irritating besides unpleasant to look at. Normally one does not need any special care or medication to treat chapped nose.It heals on its own within few days. But you can try few effective home remedies to alleviate pain and encourage faster healing of this pesky problem.
Causes of Chapped Nose:
Cold, sneezing and runny nose are the main causes of chapped nose. The skin around nostril can become chapped when it becomes dry. Tiny cracks usually form when the skin around this area of nose gets frequently irritated from friction applied while blowing the nose during cold. Repeated friction and blowing will make the skin raw and irritated leading to formation of small cracks.The wet mucus that drips from the nostril gets evaporated and makes the skin even drier.
Symptoms of Chapped Nose:
When your nose is chapped it looks pink and red in color. The skin around nostril is dry and flaky. The skin easily peels off from tips of the nose and around the nostril. As tiny cracks extend deep into the skin, it eventually irritates the nerves under the skin. This will lead to tenderness and pain around the nose. Pain and irritation becomes worse when you rub tissue while blowing your nose. The area becomes even more painful when it is exposed cold drought of air in winter.
Treatment and Home Remedies:
Chapped nose is not a serious illness, but at the same time it is extremely discomforting for the patient. It usually does not require any treatment. The condition heals on its own within few days. But you can try home remedies for faster healing and to ameliorate pain and irritation.
- Since you will have to use tissues often while sneezing and blowing nose, use tissues that are extremely soft and supple. Nowadays, nose wipes are available that contain aloe or vitamin E. Both these elements are useful for soothing the skin and faster healing.
- Avoid wiping and rubbing your nose vigorously as too much of friction will irritate skin around the nose.
- Apply a moisturizer around the in the area of chapped nose. Apply petroleum jelly daily at night while sleeping. It will help to speed up healing of chapped nose.
- Apply coconut oil on the area if Vaseline is not available. Coconut oil is also an effective natural moisturizer.
- Use gentle moisturizer soap to wash your face instead of soaps that contain harsh chemicals. Pat dry your face instead of rubbing.
- Take one vitamin E capsule. Break it and mix it with aleo vera gel. Apply the gel on the irritated red area around the nose. Aloe vera and vitamin E both will enhance the healing process.
- Put few drops of saline water into your nostril. It will keep the mucus membrane inside the nostril soft and clear the nasal passage if blocked.
- Maintain humidity in your bedroom. You can use humidifier during winter months to add moistness in the air. This will help in healing of chapped nose. Humidifier will also keep your throat moist hence it will prevent dryness in mouth and throat during sleep.