Skip to content
Causes and Symptoms of Chafing
- The causes of chafing are mainly the friction. It is the skin rubbing repetitively against rough clothing or against skin. This seems to occur most often in extreme heat and humidity.
- The chafing is worse because areas are not dried completely.
- The effected areas become red, inflamed, and very sore.
- The red raw skin is most often noted at the groin, armpits, and abdominal folds.
- The most important thing to do to heal or prevent chafing is to dry thoroughly after showering or perspiring a lot. Moisture build up is the main culprit.
- Applying a natural marigold salve is very effective as a chafing treatment. Marigolds are anti inflammatory, anti infective, anti fungal and also have healing powers.
- Mix olive oil in a jar with several marigold flowers and set in the sun for a week or so.
Shake the mixture before each use.
- Chafing can quickly turn into a yeast or fungal infection. Apply the mix to effected areas a couple times a day and at night.
- Wear loose clothing and underwear. Boxer briefs are good because they allow free air flow.
Natural Remedies For Chafing
- Drink plenty of fluids to avoid dehydration.
- Lose weight if you are over the norms for your height. The more folds and creases on your body, the more areas for bacteria to hide in and grow.
- Cornstarch will help chafing treatment.
- Mix together vitamin A and D ointment and Vaseline. Add 1/4 the amount of aloe vera and vitamin E.
- Zinc oxide is used for raw skin. It is a thick paste and can be a little difficult to remove. Use mineral or olive oil for easy removal.
- The best chafing treatment involves preventing it in the first place.