Treat Cement Burns
Cement burn is a type of chemical burn on skin. The only difference of cement burn is, burn effect is felt after a day or two, unlike in other burn injuries.
Most often cement burns on skin occurs in workers who do construction work. Cement contains a caustic alkaline compound for its binding ability, this caustic compound when comes in contact with skin or eyes can cause burns.
Fluid filled blisters, discoloration of skin and skin cell damage can result from cement burns.
Treatment for Cement Burns
- First and foremost thing to do is to remove the wet cement mixture from the body parts, and wash the affected part with plain warm water. If the wet cement remains for a long time attached to the skin, chances of cement burns are greater.
- For neutralizing the alkaline content of cement always rinse or wash hands and legs that come in contact with wet cement with mixture of vinegar and water. If vinegar is not available any citrus fruit juice can be applied on the stuck cement part.
- Wet cement can burn the eyes, if protective shield or glasses are not worn. In such case immediate treatment is to wash the eyes with plain water. Ophthalmologist opinion should be taken as soon as possible.
- Apply aloe vera gel on the skin surface, it help to sooth the skin and also acts as an antiseptic agent.
- If slightest doubt of impending burn symptoms is observed, start applying calendula lotion or ointment on the skin surface. This will reduce blister formation and heal the wound early.