Bed mite or bed bug infestation is seen worldwide, most commonly seen in humid atmosphere. Bed bugs are blood sucking parasites found mainly in the crevices of bed, wall cracks, in the mattresses, furniture and carpets. They are wingless parasites and feed on human blood (preferably). They can feed on any other animals and mammals in absence of humans.
Bed mites are more active at night because they prefer darkness. They usually bite on the exposed area of skin when a person is asleep. The common areas of bites are arms, face, neck and hands.When you will wake up in the morning, you will realize itching and irritation at the site of bite.
Usually they do not carry any disease, but scratching can cause secondary infection of the skin. In rare cases hepatitis B and Chagas disease can spread due to bite of a bed bug. The peculiarity of bed bug bites is that the bites are in row.
Home Remedies For Bed Mites Bites
Bed mite bite produces itching, it can vary from person to person, for some it may be minor itch but those who are more sensitive can find skin reaction and redness.Some people may suffer from large welts around the site of bite with itching.
Bed bug bites usually do not require any treatment as the lesions heal on their own. However, in some cases when itching is too annoying and troublesome, and if it lasts for days, use of corticosteroid creams and antihistamine tablets may relieve the symptoms.
Certain home remedies are as effective as conventional treatment. You can try following home remedies for bed bug bites.
- To reduce itching and inflammation around the site of bite, apply calamine lotion. Coconut oil, olive oil can also relieve the itching.
- Cold compresses are effective in reducing swelling and itching caused after bed bug bite. Apply ice over the affected area for few minutes to reduce itching. Do not apply ice directly to the affected area. Instead put few cubes in a clean towel and place it over the affected area. Repeat it three times in a day.
- Applying salt water is an easy way to reduce itching and swelling after a bed bug bite. Rinse the area with salt water.
- If the bug has bitten on several places and there is intolerable itching, oatmeal bath will give him relief from the symptoms.
- Baking soda is another home remedy which has remarkable curative effect on bed bug bite. Prepare a paste by mixing two teaspoon of baking soda with 1 teaspoon of water. Apply freshly prepared paste on the affected area. Baking soda is time tested remedy and is used since generations to alleviate itching.
How To Get Rid Of Bed Bugs Naturally?
Besides treating symptoms of bed bug bites, it is also essential to get rid of them permanently. The best measure is to do pest control fumigation by an expert in that field. Few home treatments may also work if fumigation is not possible. Spray rubbing alcohol in places where bed bugs are present.
The herb lavender is a natural bed bug repellant. Prepare few sachets of lavender herb and put them below your bed and in crevices of bed. The smell and taste of lavender herb may repel and destroy the bugs.
For bedding and mattresses infested with bed bugs, use steam treatment. Steam cleaners can be used for this purpose.