Abdominal pulsations can be felt in many thin persons, pulsation of abdominal aorta can be felt due to thin layer of fat on the abdominal surface in these persons.
Causes Of Abdominal Pulsations
- Abdominal pulsation becomes a concern when the pulsations are not synchronized with heart beat. In such conditions medical opinion is necessary to rule out a condition called aortic aneurysm. Aortic aneurysm is a condition of thickening or constriction of the abdominal aorta.
- Doctors may advise ultrasound or CT scan, to find the real cause of pulsation in abdomen.
- Abdominal pulsation can also be visible or felt when there is spinal defect such as scoliosis or lordosis.
Lower And Upper Abdominal Aortic Pulsation Causes
- The other visible causes of lower abdominal pulsation include enlarged tumor in ovarian region or in the lower portion of the intestine.
- Upper abdominal pulsations can occur in pancreatic disease or spleen disease, often observed when there is extra growth or a tumor associated with the organ.