Petechiae are small round spots that appear in the skin. This is due to bleeding of the tiny vessels under the skin. It may appear red, brown, or purple and is often mistaken as rash.
There are many factors that can cause its appearance. Some of them are potentially fatal diseases:
- Trauma or pressure to the skin
- Malnutrition – a deficiency in vitamins C, K, B9, B12
- Allergic reaction
- Thrombocytopenia or the condition where there is lower than normal platelet count. This is the most common cause.
- Sepsis – a fatal bacterial infection where the whole body is affected.
- Viral infection such as mumps, rubella, and chickenpox.
- Meningococcemia – a very infectious and potentially life-threatening disease that leads to inflammation of the blood vessels (vasiculitis).
- Cancer such as leukemia and lymphoma.
- Autoimmune disease such as lupus and rheumatoid arthritis.
- Certain medications such as aspirin
Petechiae Home Remedies
If the cause is mild such as injuries, you can employ these remedies:
- Eat nutritious foods especially those high in vitamin C and B vitamins. Doctors may prescribe supplementations of 100 mg to 3 grams of vitamin C daily.
- Lessen intake of Vitamin E, garlic, ginger, and ginko. They can contribute to easy bleeding.
Treatment For Petechiae
- Mix a few drops of St. John’s wort to a cream and apply on the area.
- You can apply sliced raw onion on the area but not in open wounds.
- Mix one part cayenne pepper and five parts melted Vaseline. Let it cool and apply to the petechiae once daily.
- Apply macerated cabbage to the area. It has anti-inflammatory effects.
- Mix some drops of Arnica tincture to a cup of water. Soak a clean towel and apply to the affected area.