Overuse of Antibiotics Side Effects
While it is true that antibiotics can save lives, it can also take several lives due to its overuse and misuse. The overuse of antibiotics leads for the bacteria to get stronger and therefore become resistant to certain antibiotics. Here are some side effects of increasing use of antibiotics:
- Bacterial antibiotic resistance is one of the overuse of antibiotics side effects, wherein it happens when antibiotics can no longer cure the bacterial causing disease. Some of the instances of bacterial antibiotic resistance are:
- The overuse of tetracycline for acne. Acne is caused by bacteria called staphylococcus aureus. The overuse of tetracycline antibiotic can worsen the acne condition as staph bacteria became resistant to tetracycline.
- Patients who have undergone surgery and had overused tetracycline antibiotics are more likely to acquire and increase infections.
- Overusing antibiotics also creates an increasing problem in the medical field called methicillin resistant staphylococcus aureus (MRSA), which is life-threatening. MRSA is a ‘œflesh-eating’ bacteria and the patient with MRSA is susceptible to infections.
- Another side effect of overuse of antibiotics is diarrhea because all bacteria in our digestive system will be killed by antibiotics including the good bacteria.
- Good bacteria have much use in our body. One is, it prevents the fungi to occur in our digestive tract or on the body. The absence of good bacteria may tolerate the outbreak of fungi.
- Scientists also relate antibiotics to the development of child’s immune system. Immune system gets stronger through practice by encountering threats due by bad bacteria. Since antibiotics kill all bacteria in our body, the immune system will be weakened as there will be no more threat to fight for.
Things to Remember with the Use of Antibiotics:
- Antibiotics are used to treat diseases caused by bacterial infections, fungal infections, and some kind of parasites. Conditions caused by viruses cannot be cured by antibiotics.
- It is important to take antibiotics only when necessary.