Question: What are homeopathic remedies for cold sores?
Answer: Cold sores or fever blisters are small, painful, fluid- filled blisters in the corner of mouth, on lips and in the corner of nose. They are caused by herpes virus simplex. However, in many cases, the real culprit is the onset of colds; the blisters are just the symptoms. Lasting about 6 to 9 days they are contagious till complete healing of the blisters.
Triggers can be fever, excessive exposure to sun, stress and menstruation.
Homeopathic Remedy For Cold Sores
- Borax: Inflammation on the mouth is tense and painful.
- Arsenic alb: Eruption with burning pain, with desire to drink water in sips frequently.
- Natrum mur: Sun and eating too much salt are indication for this remedy. Patient is hot; it can abort the infection if taken in early stages. Good treatment for cold sore.
- Rhus tox: Herpes most commonly in and around mouth. it may be present on the genitals. Eruption is red and swollen with burning and itching. Effective remedy for fever blister.
- Merc- sol: This remedy is indicated when the sore is infected. Lymph gland is swollen, bad offensive breath from the mouth.
Herbal Remedies For Fever Blisters
- Black currant: An extract of black currant is known to be a good cold sores natural remedy.
- Echinacea: This herbal medicine has the property to cure cold sore due to its antiviral property.
- Rhubarb and sage cream: Local application of this cream acts like a antiviral cream in natural form.
- Aloe vera extract is one of the most helpful herbs for treating fever blisters. Simply extract the juice from a leaf, and then rub it on the blister.
- Aside from aloe vera, guava leaves are also used for treating fever blisters. The young leaf of the plant is pounded, and the juice is applied to the blister.
Petroleum jelly is one of the commonly used treatments for fever blisters.
Application of graphite to the affected area is also an effective treatment for fever blisters.
Ice or cold compress is another remedy. However, this has to be done repeatedly to be effective and even so, it does not always guarantee success.