Irritation and itching on facial skin is most embarrassing. It can lead to swelling and inflammation of face. Skin irritation is basically a harsh reaction to substances that are applied on face. They are called irritants.
Sometimes the delicate facial skin may react to ultraviolet rays of sunlight leading to various allergic manifestations. When this happens, symptoms like inflammation, redness, and itching, ulcerations, or acne formation may occur.
It is important to treat it immediately to avoid further complications. There are several natural remedies that may help to alleviate facial skin irritation. After treatment they seldom leave scars on face.
What Causes Facial Skin Itching?
There are number of factors that are known to cause facial skin irritation. Knowing them is of prime importance before you start any type of treatment. It may be brought about by:
- Application of cosmetics is one of the most common reasons for causing skin irritation on face, especially in women. The delicate facial skin may react to harsh chemicals present in cosmetics. Most cosmetic and beauty products contain chemicals. It is not necessary that all cosmetic products can cause reaction, but there are few individuals whose skin may be sensitive to such products, they face risk of suffering from facial skin irritation. Usually, a person should avoid applying cheap cosmetic products on their face.
- Face is the most exposed part of body. Prolonged exposure to sunlight and its ultraviolet rays may be harmful for delicate facial skin in some people who have hypersensitive skin. Besides, sunlight may interact with cosmetic products applied on skin giving rise to irritation and rashes on face.
- Environment may also play an important role in facial skin irritation. Facial skin may react to smoke, dust and pollution present in environment.
- Contact with other allergens such as pollen and animal fur.
- A person may be allergic to certain food substances or ingredients present in it.
- Reaction to medicines may also cause irritation and itching on face.
Natural Remedies For Skin Irritation On Face
Before treating itching and irritation on facial skin it is necessary to find out the underlying cause. Eliminating the cause prevents further episodes and aggravation.
- Massage your face with aloe vera leaf juice.
- Apply cucumber juice, ice cubes to your face and allow air-drying. Fresh juice prepared at room temperature can also be used.
- Put some honey on your face. It has natural antimicrobial properties. Honey also has anti inflammatory properties that may help to reduce swelling.
- Massage your face with 1/2 cup of yogurt and leave for 15 minutes. Wash with warm water afterwards.
- You can also wash your face with a mixture of 1/8 cup baking soda and 1 cup water. Do not rub it instead pat gently with a clean towel.
- Another facial skin irritation treatment is applying lavender essential oil on the affected part. This is a proven remedy for centuries.
- Look for skin care products that has ‘for sensitive skin’ label or those that contain chamomile and aloe. They have anti-inflammatory effects.
- Use a gentle soap and alcohol free cleanser when removing makeup.
- Exfoliate your face once every two to three days to avoid over peeling of the skin.
- Apply skin moisturizer and sun-protecting creams preferably those with SPF 15 or higher.
- Avoid consuming too much coffee, alcohol, and cigar.