Causes of Cramps in Hands and Fingers:
Cramps are involuntary contractions of the muscles, which fail to relax immediately, resulting in severe pain. Skeletal muscle cramps are more common in the legs and calf muscles; however they can affect hands and other body parts.
Here are a few reasons for causes of cramps in hands and fingers,
- Prolonged activities involving the hands and the fingers like typing, playing an instrument or doing needle work are associated with hand or finger cramps
- Vitamin and mineral deficiency especially sodium, potassium, magnesium and calcium can result in frequent cramps
- Occasionally cramps are the result of medicines or chemotherapy
Treatment of Cramps in Hands and Fingers:
- Prolonged and repetitive activities can result in stress, which in turn, can cause cramps. Take a break every now and then to stretch the hands and shake them to avoid cramps.
- Ensure that your diet is rich in green leafy vegetables and fruits, namely pineapple. These foods have potential enzymes and antioxidants which reduce swelling and inflammation, which in turn reduces involuntary contractions
- Minerals and Vitamin Supplements should form an integral part of the diet. These supplements are essential to ward off the painful and distressing symptoms of cramps in hands and fingers.