Home Remedies for Blood Clot in Finger
A blood clot, medically termed as thrombus, is the local aggregation of blood components. Generally, they disappear on their own. It is a normal process of our body to prevent excessive bleeding from injury. Too much clotting or clotting that occurs on vital organs without any bleeding are very dangerous and can lead to death.
Causes of Blood Clot in Finger
What brought about that alarming blood clot may be not serious at all. However, a chance that a life-threatening condition is occurring should not be taken for granted.Here are some causes:
- Trauma or injury such as pinching or slammed by an object
- Damage to blood vessels
- Immobilization such as to people who had operation, paralysed, or in bed rest. Because blood becomes stagnant, they begin to form clots.
- A rupture of a cholesterol plaque in the blood vessels. This will produce bleeding that will trigger blood to clot.
When a blood clot in the finger completely occludes a blood vessel, this will impede blood circulation. Your finger may turn red to purple to black.
Symptoms of Blood Clot in Finger
When a clot forms, the severity of symptoms depends on how much a blood vessel is occluded.Common symptoms include the following:
- Pain that is suddenly felt
- Swelling in the affected area
- Discoloration that ranges from red to purple to black
- Finger/s is/are tender to touch
What You Should Do
Home remedies and treatment for blood clot in finger symptoms include the following:
- Apply cold compress to the area. This will decrease swelling and pain.
- Medicate with aspirin or ibuprofen.
- Limit intake of foods high in protein. They can increase the coagulation ability of blood.
- Increase fluid intake. Dehydration increases blood viscosity that also increases the risk of coagulation.
- Consult your doctor. A proper treatment can only be given by a trained doctor with the aid of the right diagnosing.