People vomit for different reasons and these reasons include problems with indigestion, having the stomach flu, stress, food poisoning, and others. When a person is vomiting and the contents of the person’s stomach is purged because of this, chances are, he or she will want to know what to eat when vomiting to avoid the onset of other stomach problems like ulcer or hyperacidity or to simply get rid of hunger pangs. When you are suffering from bouts of vomiting, you should be aware that you should not eat anything until the vomiting is under control.
What to Eat When Vomiting
Before you go and try to figure out what to eat when vomiting, you will need to test yourself to see if your stomach can hold the food that you take.
- First, try to drink a few teaspoons of tea or water.
- If you do not vomit this after half an hour, proceed with a cracker and the same amount of liquid.
- Wait another half an hour and if everything is still in your tummy, you can then proceed to a piece of dry toast and half a cup of tea.
- After an hour, you might want to try soft food like mashed potatoes and another half cup of tea or a clear broth.
- Continue this routine for a couple of days until you are sure you can hold your food down and are no longer vomiting.
What Not to Eat When Vomiting
Now that you know what to eat when vomiting, it is also ideal for you to know what to avoid when you are suffering from bouts of vomiting.
- You should avoid foods with strong smells or odors, food that is high in fat content, and greasy food and foods that are spicy.
- You should also avoid foods that are hard to digest until you are over your vomiting problems.