Question: My husband works at night. He works from 12 am until 8 am. He has a problem with getting proper sleep. When he gets off work in the morning, he does not go to sleep until about 1, sometimes 4 in the evening. When he does get off to sleep, he constantly gets up, and is unable to sleep for a full 6-8 hours. When he is off on the weekend, it’s the same thing, he can’t get his full sleep without tossing and turning. I have been researching home remedies online and came across this site.What should I do? Any home remedies will be fine.
Answer: Complete sleeplessness is called as insomnia and usually a rare condition, but relative loss of sleep is very common. Difficulty in getting sleep is common among the condition of sleeplessness. Disturbed sleep or waking up in the middle of the sleep is another common feature in sleeplessness. Some people can have combination of features.
Disturbance in sleep usually starts first with difficulty in getting to sleep. This is usually the first sign. Lack of sleep then causes changes in mood of the individual and emotional changes follows.
What Causes Disturbed Sleep?
Sleeplessness altered sleep patterns have numerous causes. Most common cause of sleep disturbance is mental worries and tension. This can be due to various reasons; work tension, family tension, excitement, anger etc. physical causes which can lead to disturbance in sleep are acidity, tobacco in any form, constipation, over eating or sleeping empty stomach etc.
Undue and disproportionate intake of caffeine is another important cause. Abdominal derangements – indigestion, constipation, acidity, or going to bed hungry also causes sleeplessness.
Treatment For Sleeplessness
Sleep is a state of rest, that is extremely vital and necessary for the normal – healthy functioning of the body.
- Stick to a scheduled sleeping – waking pattern. It will help cure insomnia effectively.
- Increase the consumption of – whole cereals, nuts, green leafy vegetables, and milk. Research says, a deficiency of these foods causes wakefulness.
- Thiamine, a vitamin B, is very important for good sleep. Deficiency is known to cause disturbed sleep. Thus, a supplement is advocated.
- Relaxation methods, such as Pranayama, Yoga, and meditation, will be very beneficial. They decelerate the body’s rhythm, help combat stress, help battle exertion, and relax all the muscles of the body, suffusing you with quiet and calm.
- Do not watch T.V. or read a book at bed time.
- Warm milk with 1/4 teaspoon of powdered nutmeg added to it, will manage insomnia almost instantaneously.
- Beware : never ever make sleeping pills a treatment option. They are addictive and become ineffectual when taken for prolonged periods of time.
Home Remedies For Getting Normal Sound Sleep
Things which help in this condition are lettuce, aniseed, rauwolfia, honey etc.
- For getting normal sound sleep lettuce is useful home remedy. Lettuce contains a substance called as lectucarium which helps in sleep inducing. Juice is extracted from the fresh lettuce and half a glass of it should be taken 2 to 3 hours before going to sleep. Lettuce seeds are equally effective. Take a tablespoon of seeds and boil them in a 500ml of water till the water is reduced to half. Strain the water and take it two times a day.
- Aniseeds are useful in inducing sleep. This seeds are taken in quantity of two teaspoon and added to half a liter of water. Boil it and make it into tea form. Strain the water and this should be taken (a glass) before going to sleep.
- Rauwolfia powder should be taken with cardamom (equal amount). One can take 2.5mgm of both the powders and mix it well. They should be taken 2-3hrs before going to sleep. Those with chronic condition should take this two times in a day.
- Honey helps in inducing sleep. Take 10-15ml of honey in half glass of water. Stir it well and taken it before going to bed.
- Regular exercise, yoga, meditation technique, limiting the stress level which is bearable etc should be brought into picture.