Acne is one of the many diseases that people are faced with and happens especially in the face. It is a type of skin disease that is caused by the inflammation of the sebaceous glands and hair follicles located in the face, neck, shoulder, and in the head. In particular, acne that appears on the head is called scalp acne that can also occur on the hairline.
Scalp acne causes include the following:
- Poor hygiene
- Inadequate diet
- Increased stress levels
- Congenital factors
- Imbalance in hormone levels
- Weather and seasonal changes
- Drinking caffeinated beverages
- Intake of spices causing irritation
- Toxicity in drugs especially steroids
- Too much exposure to sunlight and heat
How To Treat Scalp Acne At Home?
Here are some guidelines for the treatment of scalp acne.
- One effective way to deal with scalp acne is to shampoo more often than you used to with the use of benzoyl peroxide.
- Wash your hair for several times using coal tar shampoo to reduce the itching.
- You can also apply an anti-itch product sold at drugstores or department stores for the relief of itching.
- Cleaning the scalp with products containing salicylic acid using cotton ball or wool is also an effective way to treat scalp acne.
- Another scalp acne cure is by using mild shampoo as well as frequently washing the hair.
- Ketoconzaole or ciclopirox is also effective for mild cases of acne on the scalp.
- There are times when oral medications such as antibiotics and topical steroids can also help treat acne on scalp problems.
- Ultimately, the key to treat and prevent scalp acne as well as dandruff is to keep the scalp and the whole body clean and properly nourished.