Question: I have stretch marks on my knees. How to get rid of them naturally?
Answer: With sudden gain of weight or sudden loss of weight in the body there may appear fine lines on the arms, knees, on the calf, thigh and the buttocks. These fine lines are called stretch marks. Although stretch marks are not a serious health problem, people become more conscious when they have them.
Stretch marks are more prominent in women. When present on knees, some women may find it awkward to wear shorts. Having said this let us know few basic things about stretch marks and why they occur.
Human skin has three layers, the outer is called epidermis, the middle is known as dermis and the deepest layer is subcutaneous. It is the damage in dermis which causes stretch marks. The skin is elastic and flexible and to certain limit it can withstand stretching. But once the skin is stretched beyond a limit, the collagen tissue which maintains the elasticity of skin gets damaged. This results in fine scars underneath the epidermis. Stretch marks when present on knees are more visible on its back side. They usually appear as streaks in a series.Initially pink fine lines appear on knees but as days pass they become silvery.
What Causes Stretch Marks?
Some of the triggering factors for producing stretch marks are:
- Puberty: The first time stretch marks rear its ugly head around knee or arms is during puberty. Rapid growth during puberty causes intense strain on the elasticity of skin.
- Weight: Excessive weight gain or sudden loss of weight can damage the underlying collagen protein.
- Pregnancy: Appearance of stretch marks in women during pregnancy period is common. Most probably it is due to sudden weight gain as well as hormonal changes.
- Heredity: Few people have inherited tendency for stretch marks. They may appear anywhere on the body, but more commonly on arms, thighs and at the back of knees.
- It is also common in certain health conditions such as Marfans syndrome.
- Stretch marks may also appear on knee and other area after prolonged use of corticosteroids.
Home Remedies For Stretch Marks On Knees
There are several treatment methods such as chemical and surgical for removal of stretch marks on knees and other places. Laser and cosmetic surgery are few effective procedures but they are expensive and associated with risks. There are natural ways available to diminish and minimize them. Besides they are cost effective and without any side effects.
- Apply cream containing vitamin E. Vitamin E is considered to be a food for maintaining healthy skin. Apply it locally twice in a day over the knees. Vitamin E helps to regain skin elasticity. Shea butter contains vitamin E and carotene. Both are healthy nutrients for maintaining skin elasticity. It also hydrates the area and prevents dryness.
- Eat fruits, green leafy vegetables, tomatoes etc as they contain chemicals and vitamins that are beneficial for skin.
- Apply lavender oil on the stretch marks; it has beneficial properties in reducing the stretch marks. You can mix chamomile oil and almond oil with it for better results.
- Aloe Vera gel is a time tested home remedy for minimizing stretch marks on knees and belly. Aloe Vera has compounds that have skin healing and soothing properties. Its use for curing minor burns is well known. Apply aloe vera gel on the fine lines around knees. Let it remain for few minutes before cleaning the area with lukewarm water.
- Consume food containing zinc. Zinc has beneficial properties to repair skin damage. Seeds and nuts are rich source of zinc. Include them in your regular diet.
- Castor oil: Rub castor oil on your knees. A gentle massage will allow the oil to seep inside the skin and provide nourishment to repair the damaged collagen tissue.
- Gram flour, turmeric powder and cream are mixed together and the paste is applied on the affected area. It is a beneficial home treatment in fading the stretch marks.
- Apricot scrub is rubbed on the affected area; it is helpful in reducing the stretch marks.
- Apply raw potato juice on knee area. The minerals and nutrients present in it facilitate faster growth of damaged skin cells. Rub potato slice on stretch marks present on knee. Ensure that the liquid extracted from potato slice completely covers the marks. Wash the area with warm water once the liquid dries out.