When you stand up quickly, gravity pulls blood from your brain towards your feet and doesn’t return to the brain until the next heart beat. This is why we sometimes experience dizziness when standing.
Why Do I Get Dizzy When I Stand Up?
Here are some specific causes of dizziness when standing up:
- Orthostatic hypotension or the reduction of blood pressure within three minutes after standing.
- Postural hypotension or reduction of blood pressure when changing positions, such as when lying down and standing up at once.
- Vertigo: a condition in which somebody feels a sensation of whirling that result in loss of balance.
- Ear infection: a part of our inner ear is responsible for balance. If there is an ear infection affecting that part, it then is the cause of dizziness when standing up.
- Tumors/cancer: Suffering from chronic illness such as these that has already affected adjacent systems, especially the brain, causes dizziness when standing up.
- Imbalanced nerve functions: Your circulatory system is having difficulty pumping oxygen to your blood, which is the cause of dizziness when standing up.
- Emotionally distracted. Dizziness when standing happens especially after prolonged crying.
- Pregnancy: Nausea or dizziness when standing is one of the common signs of pregnancy. This is usually caused by rapid hormonal changes.
- Dehydration: When our body lacks fluids, it can also lead to various causes of dizziness when standing up. This is usually observed during very hot weather.
Tips and Home Remedies for Dizzy When I Stand
Here are some tips and home remedies one can try:
- Try to breathe. This is to facilitate the circulation of oxygen in the blood and to all parts of the body.
- Sit down. This will minimize the risk of injury, because you might fall down when you experience dizziness.
- Try to keep oneself relaxed to minimize the aggravation of the condition.