DESCRIPTION RESULT UNITS REFERENCE RANGES
HAEMOGLOBIN 13.2 gm% 13 – 17
TOTAL LEUCOCYTE COUNT 20300 /cumm 4,000 – 10,000
DIFFERENTIAL LEUCOCYTE COUNT
POLYMORPHS 11 % 40 – 80
LYMPHOCYTES 22 % 20 – 40
EOSINOPHILS 67 % 1 – 6
MONOCYTES 00 % 2 – 10
BASOPHILS 00 % 1 – 2
RBC 4.10 milli/cumm 4-50 – 5.50
PLEATELET COUNT 165000 /cumm 150,000-400,000
PCV 38.2 % 40- 50
MCV 93.3 femto litres 83 – 101
MCH 32.1 pico grams 27 – 32
MCHC 34.5 g/dl 31.50 – 34.50
RBC SERIES RBCs are normocytic normochromic.
WBC TRC raised. DLC increased eosinophil count. no immautre cells seen.
PLATELETS Platelets are adequate.
HAEMOPARASITES No haemoparasites seen.
OPINION Peripheral blood picture is suggestive of EOSINOPHILIC
ESR [ WESTEGREN] 40 mm/1hr 0 -14
Advice IMMINOGLOBULIN E LEVELS
ABOLUTE EOSINOPHIL COUNT 12500 /cumm 40 – 500
Your laboratory reports are indicative of high levels of eosinophils. Eosinophilia is a condition characterized by elevated levels of eosinophils in the blood. The normal concentration ranges between 1-6 % which in your case is up to 67%.
The elevated levels could be reactive i.e. in response to allergy or non reactive
Here are some conditions that are associated with elevated levels of eosinophils:
- Allergic disorders including asthma, allergies to drugs, hay fever. Allergic skin diseases like pemphigus and dermatitis herpetiformis are also associated with elevated levels of eosinophils
- Parasitic infections are commonly associated with eosinophilia. The other symptoms may include itching on the skin, itching around the anus, grinding of teeth, etc
- Some forms of malignancies include Hodgkin’s Lymphoma and Non Hodgkin’s Lymphoma may also present in this form
- Autoimmune diseases like systemic lupus erythematus is also associated with eosinophilia
- Finally other conditions like cholesterol embolism, Addision’s Disease, Collagen Vascular disease and Neoplasia are associated with elevated levels of eosinophil in the blood.
The management of the condition will depend on the underlying cause. Consult your physician; if it is transient eosinophila, it is associated with allergic reaction. However elevated levels of ESR are indicative of a chronic condition.