Most people after a good night sleep feel recharged, energetic and refreshed when they wake up in the morning. However, there are people who do not feel invigorated even after 7 to 8 hours of sound sleep. So what is the reason? There are several reasons, some of which may be linked with lifestyle changes while other causes may be associated with medical conditions.
Feeling dull and less energetic once in a while after waking up is not a concerning issue. But if you are feeling tired and worn out every day after waking which persists throughout the day, you need to be careful and consult your physician as there may be an underlying medical problem.
What Causes Extreme Fatigue When Waking Up?
If the hours that you spend in bed does not revitalize and refresh you in the morning, it can have many underlying causes. Some of the reasons of morning fatigue are overlooked even though they are apparent or known to the person. These causes are very common which includes drinking alcohol at night, snoring, acid reflux, and hunger at night, frequent urination, bruxism, etc.
- Alcohol and sedative before bedtime: Many people feel tired and exhausted in morning hours when they consume alcohol the previous night. You may not get a good sleep cycle even though alcohol may make you fall asleep. The same is true with sedatives. For this reason you feel fatigued and drowsy in the morning.
- Stimulants: Coffee and tea are stimulants to the nervous system. They contain caffeine. Drinking tea, coffee and any other stimulants during night can affect your sleep cycle. If you do not have a sound sleep, you are likely to wake up feeling fatigued and tired.
- Sleep apnea: People who snore or suffer from sleep apnea always feel tired in morning. Sleep apnea is a medical condition in which the person stops breathing momentarily. This makes him to get up to take breath. However, he does not remember it when he wakes up in the morning. Frequent disturbance of sleep can lead to tiredness in the morning.
- Frequent urination at night: Nighttime frequent urination is common in diabetics and men suffering from enlarged prostate. It often disturbs the sound sleep. Person wakes up feeling tired and exhausted.
- Acid reflux disease: Reflux disease is flow of stomach acid in backward direction towards esophagus. It occurs when the valve like sphincter in the esophagus does not work properly. The main symptom of acid reflux is burning in middle of chest. But some people may not feel heartburn and they have bad taste in their mouth when they wake up. Overeating, alcohol, eating too much of spicy food at night, all can aggravate the condition. When you lie down it becomes easier for the stomach acid to move upwards. Sleep disturbance is often associated with acid reflux disease.
- Hunger at night: Some people who have hunger pangs at night may end up with fatigue and tiredness during day. It will disturb sleep as well as may also produce reflux acid. Try to eat nutritive food three hours before retiring to bed.
How To Prevent Extreme Fatigue On Waking Up?
Following are the steps to prevent exhaustion after waking:
- Avoid drinking alcohol before bedtime. Also avoid taking sedative medicines.
- Avoid drinking stimulants containing caffeine and nicotine.
- Avoid eating late at night. Instead keep a gap of 3 hours between your meals and bedtime. Avoid eating in excess or too much spicy food at night.
- If you have to go in bathroom for frequent urination you can avoid the number of visits. Drink fluids 2 hours before sleeping. Do not drink water and fluids before bedtime.
- Exercise regularly for at least half hour. Brisk walking is the best form of exercise.