Many people have a feeling of dry sore throat when they get up early in the morning. Dryness in throat may be felt even if you are not sick. The irritation may stay for few hours after waking and improves as the day passes. The uncomfortable feeling of dryness can accompany many other symptoms such as difficulty in swallowing, cough, burning in throat, feeling as if something is stuck inside the throat.
In majority of cases regular dryness and sore throat results from mouth breathing and snoring at night. However, it can also be a cause of virus and bacterial infection where patient may also complain of fever and mild to moderate body ache etc.Treatment of dry sore throat depends on the underlying cause. Besides the conventional medicines, there are several other home remedies that will help to soothe the throat.
What Causes Dry Sore Throat In The Morning?
Dry sore throat in morning results from various causes such as:
- Mouth breathing: Sleeping with your mouth open is a leading cause for dryness in throat when you get up in the morning. People who snore or those who have stuffy nose often tend to keep their mouth open to breathe during sleep. This may be involuntary process, which means the person may not be aware of his open mouth during sleep. The air that enters into the mouth can dry the mucus lining of throat as well as the saliva in mouth. When the person gets up in the morning he feels irritation in his throat.
- Weather: Dryness and soreness in throat is frequent complain during winter months. During winter the air is dry and it lacks sufficient moisture. This can cause dry and sore throat. People are at greater risk of suffering from common cold during winter months. One of the symptoms is dry sore throat when you wake up in morning.
- Lifestyle: Smoking or tobacco chewing can cause dryness in throat. Smoking leads to dryness in mouth as it reduces secretion of saliva. It also causes dryness in throat because of reduced secretion of mucus from the lining of throat.
- Medications: Certain medicines are known to cause dryness in mouth and throat. Antihistaminic medicines, antidepressants, medicines for asthma, hypertension, Parkinson’s disease all can cause dryness in throat and mouth.
- Gastro esophageal reflux: GERD is a condition in which the stomach juices backup in the lower part of esophagus and sometimes it can also reach the throat. It occurs due to weak lower esophageal sphincter. Lying down position aggravates the condition. Hence most people experience the symptoms of burning sensation in chest and throat during night and early morning.
Home Remedies For Dry Sore Throat In The Morning
The first important step is to identify the underlying cause of dryness in throat that occurs in morning. You can talk with your health care practitioner when you feel the discomforting feeling is recurrent. If it is due to medications, your physician may reduce the dose or switch to another new medicine which does not have dry sore throat as its side effect.
There are several home remedies that are useful to relieve the condition:
- Gargling warm salt water is a time tested home remedy for easing irritation and dryness in throat and mouth. Salt has mild antiseptic properties. Hence it is effective in dealing with bacteria and viruses present in throat and mouth. Gargle once before going to bed and once after waking up in the morning.
- Humidifier: Breathing dry air can cause dryness in mouth and throat. Use a humidifier into your bedroom. The tiny droplets released from the humidifier will keep the air moist. Breathing in moist air will help the mucus lining of throat to remain moist. This is beneficial during winter and even to those who keep their mouth open during sleep.
- Honey: Mix one teaspoon of honey and a pinch of turmeric powder in one cup of warm milk. Drink this mixture in morning after getting up.
- Nose strip: If snoring is the cause for your throat dry and sore, than you can try using nose strip while sleeping. It will help to keep the nose open and allow easy breathing from nose instead of mouth. Snoring is also common among obese people. Try to reduce your weight if you are overweight.
- Ice cubes and candies: If your throat is dry try sucking an ice cube or a candy as it will increase secretion of saliva. Sucking a Popsicle will reduce soreness in throat.