Human stomach is situated in the upper part of abdomen. It is a hollow bag like structure with a basic function of breaking down food so that it can be easily digested by the intestine. Many people often get frightened and bothered when they experience palpitation in their stomach. However, in majority of cases it is not something to worry about.
Most of the time stomach palpitation is linked with stomach upsets caused due to eating unhealthy food which may lead to gases and pain. The feeling of palpitation in stomach is similar to pulse.In some people it can be just a nuisance, however in rare cases it can be a sign of more dangerous condition such as aneurysm of abdominal aorta.
What Causes Palpitations In Stomach?
There are numerous reasons for stomach palpitation. It can be due to eating unhealthy food, mental stress etc. Here are some of the causes for stomach palpitations:
- Too much of Caffeine intake: Consuming too much of caffeine containing drinks and beverages.
- Drinking alcohol: Drinking excessive alcohol especially on empty stomach can cause irritation and spasm in stomach giving an abnormal feeling of palpitation in some individuals.
- Eating junk food: In recent times junk food has become part of many people’s life. It has replaced nutritious food in our diet. Eating junk food regularly can cause serious health consequences, besides causing stomach problems.
- Too much of spicy food: Excessive consumption of spices on regular basis in food can cause irritation and spasm in stomach which may be experienced as palpitation.
- Starving: Palpitation in stomach can occur when a person is starving. Stomach produces certain juices and acids that help digestion of food. However, when there is no food for a long time, these secreted juices and acid can cause damage to the stomach wall leading to stomach palpitation.
- Indigestion: Often indigestion is blamed for stomach palpitation. Indigestion can cause gasses and bloated feeling of stomach. This can irritate vagus nerve which also supplies stomach and heart. Irritation of vagus nerve can lead to spasm in stomach.
- Stress and anxiety: In some people stress and anxiety can produce stomach palpitation.
- Aneurysm of abdominal aorta: Aorta is a major blood vessel originating from heart and supplying blood to various parts of body. The part of aorta which passes through abdomen is called abdominal aorta. When the wall of abdominal aorta becomes weak it pushes outwards creating an aneurysm. One of the symptoms of abdominal aneurysm is palpitation in stomach. Usually abdominal aortic aneurysm occurs in elderly individuals.
How To Get Rid Of Stomach Palpitations Naturally?
Palpitation in stomach is not a major health concern in majority of people. Often the diet we eat is responsible for such discomforting experience. Thus altering diet by eating healthy food, avoiding caffeinated beverages etc can protect from such episodes.
Person should avoid excessive drinking alcohol and smoking. If he is suffering from regular constipation, he should include vegetables and fruits in his diet as both contain large amount of fiber which helps easy bowel movement.
Stomach palpitation caused due to stress and anxiety remains for few minutes or hours. It subsides over a period of time. Stress management techniques such as medication, yoga etc will help to prevent development of stomach palpitation in future.
If the underlying cause is serious such as aneurysm of abdominal aorta, prompt treatment is necessary. Patient may need surgical repair of the abdominal aorta to prevent rupture.