Belly button is a colloquial term used for what we all know as umbilicus or navel. Actually it is a scar on abdomen left behind when the umbilical cord is cut after child birth. Besides being a prominent mark on abdomen, which is used by medical professionals to separate the abdomen in different quadrants, belly button has significant cosmetic importance, especially among women. It is considered to be an erogenous zone having high sensitivity. A simple touch around umbilicus can produce erotic sensation.
Considering its cosmetic importance, hair in and around the umbilicus may be embarrassing for many.Most women will feel ashamed and annoyed to wear short clothes that may display belly button hair. Usually there is sparse hair in and around the umbilicus among women. However, there can be genetic predisposition for abundant hair growth in and around umbilicus among women as well as men.
In a condition called hirsutism, there is excessive hair growth on body surface, including around the navel. Use of certain medications and hormonal changes can also trigger growth of belly button hair. Before getting rid of belly button hair, it is important to know the underlying cause for its occurrence.It will also help to prevent the re-growth of unwanted hair.
How To Get Rid Of Hair Around Belly Button?
Several ways can be adopted to remove belly button hair. This includes shaving, waxing, depilatory cream and laser removal. However there are flaws with some of them. For example shaving may make the skin appear dark. Depilatory cream and waxing may be more effective. Steps to remove belly button hair:
Hair removal with depilatory cream:
- Take warm compresses or shower before beginning the process. The skin will become soft after shower. Also the hair follicles will open.
- Now clean the area with soft cloth and make it dry.
- Now it’s time to apply the depilatory. But before that, apply it to a small area, to see if there is any skin reaction.
- Apply it according to the directions mentioned on the leaflet or the packet.
- Apply it on and around the belly button. Apply it in thick layer. Avoid too much rubbing of the cream. Let the cream remain for several minutes or follow the instructions given on the packet.
- Remove the cream with a stick which comes with the product. You can also use a washcloth instead. Along with it the hair will be removed.
- Now wash the belly button area with warm water. Dry the area with a dry cloth.
- If your skin is sensitive, you can apply steroidal cream.
Another more effective method is laser hair removal. Here a beam of laser goes deep down in the hair follicle and destroys the hair follicle in the umbilical area. Usually laser therapy is a permanent solution of hair removal.