An ordinary wound can get infected when exposed to microorganisms and pollutants that are present in harsh environment. Open wound infection should be given immediate treatment to avoid the spread of infection to other parts of the body that may cause severe damages such as gangrene and sepsis. One of the ways to prevent open wound infection is to identify the early signs of infections. Generally wound infection symptoms are characterized with the following signs:
Wound Infection Symptoms
- Slow wound healing or failure to heal despite of medication and treatment
- Unusual and increased pain
- Swelling and redness around the sound area
- Discharge of fluid or pus on the wound
- Foul smell from the wound
- Swelling glands
If you have noticed any of the following symptoms on your wound, immediately consult your doctor for proper treatment or you can apply wound infection treatment at home.
How to Treat Infected Wound With Home Remedies and Cures
If the symptoms are not yet alarming or severe, you can manage open wound infection at home with the following methods:
- Clean your infected wound with a disinfectant and apply an antiseptic cream. Wrap your wound with gauze.
- After cleaning your wound, apply a small amount of honey over your wound and cover it with gauze. Leave it for 30 minutes then remove the gauze.
- Apply turmeric powder directly on the open wound infection. Drink a glass of warm milk added with half teaspoon of turmeric powder every day to boost your immune system. Turmeric has strong antiseptic and disinfectant properties.
- Onions are also known for its antiseptic and antibacterial properties. Mince some onions and directly apply the minced pieces to your wound. Leave the minced onion on your wound for about an hour then wash them off with warm water and cover your wound with gauze after.