Varicose veins are enlarged, dilated, tortuous superficial veins in the lower limbs of the body. A defect in the wall of a vein could lead to varicosity and damage to the vein valves.
Valves are located so as to prevent a back flow of blood. But, once the valves are damaged, the blood flows back, consequently, pools of blood are formed, and this causes the veins to bulge and dilate.
Varicose Veins Symptoms
- The affected vein will be engorged, and bulging.
- There could be an aching discomfort or heaviness in the limbs.
- Bluish discoloration around the affected vein.
- Occasionally varicose ulcers develop in the skin.
- Bleeding from the varicose vein or the ulcer is another possibility.
- Edema or swelling
What Are The Causes Of Varicose Veins?
- Varicose veins are known to occur during pregnancy.
- A genetic predisposition to varicosity.
- Excessive straining at stool.
- Prolonged periods of standing.
- Excessive lifting of heavy weights.
- Studies show, that individuals who have varicose veins, have a decreased ability to break down fibrin. When fibrin is deposited in the tissues surrounding the varicose veins, the tissues become hard and lumpy, due to the fibrin and fat.
- Furthermore, a decreased capacity to breakdown fibrin is associated with an increased risk of thrombus formation (clot formation), which in turn results in thrombophlebitis (inflammation of the veins), heart attack, stroke, and pulmonary embolism.
- Foods like garlic, ginger, and onions have a fibrinolytic action, i.e. they assist in the breakdown of fibrin. Experts recommend a liberal intake of these foods to help check varicosity and its lethal consequences.
Natural Remedies For Varicose Veins
- Ensure that the diet is rich in fiber. A low fiber diet affects bowel motility and is responsible for constipation and straining at stool (straining increases intra-abdominal pressure, which weakens the vein wall and valves), which is a predisposing factor to varicose veins. Thus a high fiber diet, keeps the feces soft, aids in easy expulsion, and prevents straining.
- Bromelain, in pineapple, promotes break down of fibrin, and thus helps manage varicose veins and staves off its dangerous complications.
- Flavanoid rich foods such as – cherries, and berries, are highly beneficial. They improve the entire vascular structure and maintain the integrity of the support structures of the veins.
- Elastic stockings are recommended by physicians. They provide support to the weakened walls and help the flow of the blood.
- Correct leg and foot exercises are to be performed to improve circulation.
- Avoid standing for too long periods and do not lift heavy weights.
Homeopathic Treatment For Varicose Veins
Hamamelis: A homoeopathic remedy, hamamelis, has its sphere of action on veins, venous congestion, hemorrhoids, and hemorrhages. It is especially indicated when the varicose veins show excessive engorgement and swelling, when there is a bluish discoloration, and varicose ulcers with bleeding. The limbs feel tired and sore.
Inflamed veins, varicosities, and varicose ulcers respond promptly to this medicine. Lower potencies are recommended in frequent doses.