Causes of Striations on Fingernails
There are several reasons why you are experiencing striations on fingernails. Generally, fingernails striations are a sign of normal aging process and do not pose a risk to health. However, fingernails striations can also affect people who have certain conditions such as the following:
- Melanoma and other infections and diseases involving the fingernails
- Fingernails trauma
- Diabetes and other serious health conditions such as cardiovascular problems and hypocalcaemia
Two Types of Fingernails Striations
- Vertical striations. They are generally harmless and part of the normal aging process
- Horizontal striations. This is also called Beau’s lines and indicates a possible underlying illness. If you have this type of fingernails striations, you should consult a doctor immediately to determine its root cause.
Home Remedies for Fingernails Striations
Striations on fingernails treatment and remedies will largely depend upon the diagnosis of your doctor. After diagnosis, he will normally give you the proper treatment based on your medical history and diagnosis then you can start from there.You should remember that if your doctor would advise you to take some medication, you should take them religiously to get the desired results. To prevent having striations on fingernails, you can consider the following tips:
- Drink plenty water for natural hydration of the skin including your fingernails. Drink at least 8 to 10 glasses of water every day to moisturize your skin naturally.
- Eat a well-balanced diet especially foods that strengthens keratin. Foods that are good sources of calcium and vitamin C have proven beneficial in strengthening finger and toe nails.
- Place some oats on a bowl then add some warm water to make a thick mixture then dip your fingernails to the bowl for at least 20 minutes. rinse your fingers with warm water.