Question: What are the remedies for swelling and puffiness on face and foot present on the face for the past 2 years?
There are several reasons for puffiness of face and swelling in the feet. They may be due to a common cause or may be due to two separate conditions.
Causes of puffiness of face
- Lack of sleep
- Excessive content of sodium in your diet. This results in retention of fluids in the body causing puffiness of face and swelling in the feet
- Ironically, dehydration can also result in oedema. Inadequacy of water causes the blood vessels to enlarge in order to absorb all the water available.
- Obesity, allergic reactions or anaphylaxis are known to cause edema of the face and feet.
- Endocrinal disorders like Cushing’s syndrome, hypo or hyperthyroidism are also known to cause puffiness of face and swelling of feet.
- Kidney disorders like Nephrotic Syndrome is also associated with similar symptoms.
Treatments for Puffiness on Face and Foot:
- Reduce the consumption of salt. Avoid food items like butter, cheese, etc which have a high sodium content to cure facial swelling.
- Drink a lot of water. At least 2 litres each day
- Include fresh fruits and vegetables in your diet. They are rich in vitamins and minerals.
- Get yourself examined by a doctor. If the cause of your illness is some underlying chronic disorder (like Congestive cardiac failure, Nephrotic Syndrome, thyroid disorder, etc) it needs special attention and appropriate management.