Question: I got fever 2 days back. Doctor gave me Combiflam, zifi 200 and solvin. But the effect of tablet is only for 4-5 hrs. After that again fever and body ache persists.
Combiflam is composed of acetaminophen (croc in) and ibuprofen, which is commonly used to relive pain and also used to control fever. Zifi 200 is the brand name for ‘cephalosporin’, which is commonly used as an antibiotic for pharyngitis, respiratory track infections and typhoid.
There are several causes of recurrent low-grade fever:
- Typhoid fever
- Cytomegalovirus infection
- Occult abscess or Osteomylitis
It is essential for you to first confirm the cause of the low grade recurrent fever.The causes are wide ranging and the treatment will be based on the cause. Antibiotics and painkillers will only have palliative action, until the underlying cause is not dealt with.
Treatment for Fever
Investigations to confirm diagnosis of fever:
- X ray Chest PA view, to rule out tuberculosis or any other lower respiratory tract infection.
- Routine Blood investigation like CBC, ESR.
- Peripheral smear for malaria.
- Widal’s Test is a confirmatory test for typhoid. However this test needs to be done at least 15 days after the onset of the fever.
- Please consult your doctor before conducting any of the investigations. He knows your case history and will be in a better position to direct you.