I am 30yrs of age. I keep on getting urinary tract infection every 1-2 months. Currently I’m taking levofloxacin tabs. But I want to seek a permanent cure of it, so that it doesn’t occur again &again. Can you suggest me what should I do to stop it from recurrence? Also tell me whether I should opt for homeopathic/ayurvedic treatment. Tell me some good medicine.
The urinary system consists of kidney, ureters, bladder and the urethra. Any infection in the urinary organs is called urinary tract infection. It can be acute or chronic.Any infection that occurs twice in six months in the urinary tract, or lasts for more than 15 days at a stretch is called chronic UTI.
In normal circumstances the urine is sterile, that is it does not have any bacteria, viruses, or the fungi. In most of the cases the infection occurs in lower urinary tract i.e. the bladder and the urethra. The bacterial infection in the bladder is called cystitis. Urethritis is the infection and inflammation caused in the urethra.
Causes of Urinary Tract Infection
- Bad hygiene
- Disease of the urinary tract
- Hormonal changes
- Weak immune system
Most common organism is E.coli, others are proteus group, pseudomonas aeruginosa, chlamydia organism.
Predisposing factors leading to repeated urinary tract infection:
- Diabetes mellitus
- Sexual intercourse, sexual perversions
- Instrumentation and catheterization
- Phimosis, paraphimosis
- Stones in bladder, kidney and ureter
- Pin hole meatus
Symptoms of Urinary Tract Infection:
- Frequency of urine
- Burning and scalding
- Pain while urination
- Fever, vomiting,
- Back ache
- Urine examination
- Urine culture and sensitivity
- X-ray of kidney, ureter, bladder.
- Ultrasonography of kidney, ureter, bladder
- Complete blood count, ESR
- CT scan in some cases of urinary tract.
Treatment for Urinary Tract Infection:
- Treatment is aimed to find the cause, leading to repeated urinary tract infection.
- The above investigation will be helpful in finding the cause.
- In sexually active female with recurrent UTI, good perineal hygiene, emptying the bladder before and after sexual intercourse is helpful.
- Your doctor may prescribe antibacterials, it is also worth trying alternative remedies.
- Certain home remedies like cranberry juice helps to maintain healthy urinary tract.
- Drink plenty of water; it helps to clear the urinary system.
- Barley water acts well in chronic urinary tract infection
- Homeopathic medicines which are useful in treating this condition are cantharis, lycopodium, sarsaparilla, pariera brava.
- You can consult an urologist if the things do not get better.