The throat is an important part of the respiratory and digestive system, and as much as possible, it should be free from any pollutants, blockage, and lumps to allow the normal functions of the respiratory and digestive systems. When you feel a lump in throat, it signals that there is a probable issue that needs to be resolved.
Causes of Lump in Throat
Having a lump in throat signifies that one or more muscles are tightened when it should be relaxed. The tightening of the throat muscle can be a result of different health conditions such as the following:
- Viral sore throat
- Strep throat
- Tumors along the throat
- Bacterial infections
- Malfunction in the food pipe
- Emotional stress
- Acid reflux or heartburn.
Treatment and Home Remedies for Lump in the Throat
If you feel a lump in your throat, the first thing you should do is not to panic. Instead, do these home remedies to get rid of the lump. If the lump in throat persists, you should seek the medical advice of a professional for proper diagnosis.
- Avoid fatty foods especially before bedtime.
- Sleep in an upright position or with pillows placed on your back.
- Avoid acidic foods.
- Drink plenty of water especially if the cause of your lump in throat is viral or bacterial infection.
- Relax by breathing slowly.
- Do yoga exercises to release the lump in your throat.
- Avoid eating in fast foods.
- Diet has an important role in treating lump in throat. Include a variety of fresh fruits and vegetables in your meals. Aside from giving you your much needed vitamins and minerals, fibrous fruits and vegetables will also help to cleanse your bowel.
- Avoid excessively sweet and sugary foods.