A sensation of lump in throat is a common complain especially for those who are living in hot areas where dryness of the throat is common. Aside from that, there are several factors that contribute to the lump in throat feeling. Causes vary from the simple to the more serious health conditions such as the following:
Causes of Lump in Throat Sensation
- Bacterial and viral infections due to exposure to infected persons, pollutants, and unhealthy lifestyle practices such as smoking and staying up late.
- Gastroesophageal reflux disease or GERD. This is a condition where the food particles and gas shoot back up to the mouth through the digestive tract because of weak muscle between the stomach and the esophagus.
- Cricopharyngeal spasm or the spasm of throat muscle. The feeling like lump in throat is a sign of the condition and is aggravated by stress and anxiety.
- Thyroid disorders
- Generalized anxiety disorder or GAD
- Emotional stress and the inability to express feelings
- Psychological problems
- Panic attacks
- Reaction to certain medication
- Oral and tongue disorders
Home Remedies and Cures of Feeling Lump in Throat
A sensation of lump in throat can be treated at home if the causes are not severe such as minor bacterial or viral infections. Taking lots of fluids and complete bed rest will eliminate the symptoms. For lump in throat brought by psychological disorders and anxiety, talking to a professional would be a lot of help especially that such conditions need careful processing to address the core of the condition and it usually takes time and careful monitoring to treat such cases.Doing relaxation techniques and getting into a relaxing hobby would also help you in sorting out your feelings. Talking to a friend and engaging in conversations with friends and family members will also be a big help.