Treatment for the Underweight
Underweight is a very relative term and should be diagnosed in proportion with the height of the person. Whether a person is underweight or overweight really depends on the height, age and general physical health of a person.
The height to weight ratio is also a generic indicator of proper weight. If you are underweight according to the ratio, then it can be due to number of dietetic, physical, dietary reasons or due to hormonal imbalance.
If your being thin or underweight is due to your diet, the following points may help you get back into shape:
- Thinness can be due to lack of proper nutrition or excess physical activity. Underweight can be due to factors which affect you emotionally, improper eating habits like late meals or skipping of meal altogether, fasting or taking meals inadequate in quantity for your needs and no exercise or over exertion of the body.
- Sometimes, you do not gain weight even after eating nutritious food. This can be because the food which you are eating is not absorbed properly or digestion is faulty due to disturbance in the metabolism e.g. hyperthyroid individuals.
Preventing Underweight Problem
- Get enough rest. Go for a walk in fresh air for 30-60 minutes and enjoy the morning sun.
- Drink lots of water. Keep yourself hydrated.
- Meals should contain nutritious food.
- Try and remain stress free as much as possible.
- Avoid or reduce consumption of tea, coffee, alcohol, tobacco, unhealthy junk and processed food.
- Quit smoking. Avoid chocolates, soft drinks, caffeine and highly processed foods.
Natural Home Remedies for The Underweight
- Musk melon helps gain weight. The regime has to be followed rigorously. Just eat musk melon and nothing else. For first three days eat 3 kilograms. Increase the quantity gradually till you are full. Melons should be fresh and sweet.
- Make a mixture of one part of parsley root, one part of alfalfa and half part each of comfrey root, dandelion root, yellow dock root, nettle leaves, burdock root and dulse. Add these to a liter of water. Simmer for about 15 minutes. After cooling, strain the liquid and again keep it for boiling till the amount is reduced to half. To the liquid add 50 m.l. of blackstrap molasses and keep it in cool place. Take one tablespoon thrice daily till you reach your desired weight.
- Figs are very useful home remedy for gaining weight. Figs should be dried. Soak 3-4 of dry figs in water for 3-4 hours. Consume these figs twice a day.
- Raisins are also good for gaining weight. Eat 30 grams of raisins daily to gain weight.