Fluttering in ear is a common condition which many people may have experienced. It is more a disturbing disorder than a life threatening condition. Fluttering in ear can be an indication of some type of problem in your ear, most often benign. Fluttering in your ear is quiet annoying condition, especially when it occurs at night while resting in bed. This may distract your sleep ultimately affecting your daytime work performance. Medically fluttering in ear is called tinnitus. Often tinnitus is a term used for various sounds a person experiences like ringing, hissing, whistling, including fluttering.It abnormal sound can occur in one or both the ears. In majority of people fluttering in ear is a temporary condition which may automatically subside after a period of time. However, sometimes the disease can become chronic persisting for months and years.
Causes of Fluttering in Ear:
Tinnitus normally occurs due to some existing health reason in the body. In most cases there is associated problem with structures of ear, its nerve supply or blood supply. Below are given certain causes of fluttering in ear.
- Ear wax: Let us begin with the most common among all causes of fluttering in ear, especially while lying down. Ear wax can become dry over a period of time. Dry wax can cover the eardrum and block the ear passage. It is a vital structure in the ear to conduct sound from external ear to inner ear. The dry wax over the ear drum can produce vibrations over the ear drum when you lie down due to change of position.
- Hypertension: Raised blood pressure can produce fluttering sound in the ear. High blood pressure causes blood to be pushed in delicate structures of heart. This may cause tinnitus. The condition is aggravated after drinking alcohol and coffee at night.
- Sinusitis: Infection in sinuses can cause increased pressure in ear triggering tinnitus.
- Eustachian tube blockage: Eustachian tube is long tube connecting the middle ear with back of nose and upper part of throat. The function of this tube is to balance air pressure between the internal ear and external environment. Usually some amount of air is present in the tube. If there is change in pressure, a person may feel fluttering sound or feel pressure blocking the ear. The best example is when you are climbing at an altitude. Dysfunction of tube can also occur due to respiratory illness or an allergic condition. When you open your mouth or yawn, you may experience fluttering in ear.
- Earphones: Plugging ear phone in ear and listening to loud sound while sleeping can produce fluttering in ear.
Treatment of tinnitus in ear depends on the underlying cause. Often the problem resolves on its own within few weeks or months. But sometimes it prolongs for a period of time. In many cases once the underlying problem is resolved fluttering stops. One of the best examples is ear wax. If the wax is removed patient feels better and is relieved of the disturbing sound at night. If sinusitis and respiratory illness is the underlying cause, steam inhalation together with medications and antibiotics is beneficial to control the infection. If you are a smoker you must stop smoking. If you are suffering from high blood pressure, take regular medications to control hypertension. Homeopathic remedies such as Thuja and Bryonia are found to be useful in treating abnormal fluttering in ear. The anti-inflammatory property of apple cider vinegar is also effective. Drink one glass of water mixed with one teaspoon of apple cider vinegar and one teaspoon of honey.