How to Get Relief from Itchy and Swollen Eyes
There are instances wherein we experience itchiness and swelling in our eyes. This is usually associated with redness, and sometimes you will find that there is a sticky substance that accumulates at the corner of the eyes. These are the normal physiological reaction that the body undergoes when there is an infection or inflammation in and around our eyes.
Causes of Itchy Swollen Eyes
Itchy swollen eyes may be caused by numerous factors. These include:
- Underlying eye conditions like conjunctivitis. This is referred to as inflammation of the thin membrane that covers the white part of the eye.
- Touching or rubbing your eyes with dirty hands. Associated with poor hygiene, your eyes can get easily infected if you touch it with dirty hands. Always remember to practice hand washing. Rubbing your eyes introduces bacteria to enter.
- Blocked tear duct. If your tear ducts get blocked, your eyes won’t have the needed lubricant to keep them moist. When this happens, dirt can easily enter without the lubricant to wipe the eyes clean.
How to Treat Itchy and Swollen Eyes
Here are the following methods you can do even at your own home to treat and to alleviate the symptoms of itchy and swollen eyes
- Clean the eyes with a clean cloth dipped in lukewarm water. When cleaning or wiping the eye, use one direction and do not keep moving it back and forth, back and forth. Use one wipe and discard or you may switch the cloth to another side.
- After cleaning the eyes, apply cold compress to the area. The cold compress helps avoid the growth of bacteria. When you apply hot compress to the area, it would usually facilitate the growth of bacteria, hence cold compress would be the best idea.
- You may also want to use slices of cucumber. Place them in a cool compartment and apply to your eyes as a form of relief.
- Do not rub your eyes as tempting the itch may be. Rubbing it will only worsen the condition.
How to Prevent the Itch and Swelling
- Observe proper hand hygiene.
- When you are out in the public, avoid touching your eyes and other parts of your face so as not to introduce bacteria in this area.
- Eat healthy food and observe a healthy lifestyle.