Many people complain about their eyes getting tired and fatigued. It is a common problem faced by people who concentrate more on computers, read a lot or watch television continuously for long periods. Due to these reasons the eyes become tired and they ache, burn and itch. A tired eye is rarely a serious matter. Taking certain measures at home or while working may resolve it without any difficulty.
In most cases tired eyes is due to excessive strain you put on your eyes. Sometime your eyes may also get tired due to underlying disease.In such situation you may need medical treatment. If there are associated symptoms such as headache, blurred vision, double vision you have to consult an ophthalmologist.
What Are The Causes Of Eye Fatigue?
Your eyes may become tired and fatigued when you use them extensively, for example when you strain your eyes while driving, reading and writing. Straining your eyes for long duration in dim light or bright light may cause eye fatigue. Tired eyes is thought to be caused by stress but may also be brought about by a serious disease especially with people aged 50 and above.Other causes of tired looking eyes include the following:
- Straining the eyes
- Pink eye
- Excessive crying
- Inadequate rest and sleep
- Sudden exposure to bright light.
- Struggling to see in a very dim light.
- Using the computer for long hours without rest.
- Wearing of contact lenses which may cause lack of oxygen.
Natural Remedies To Get Rid Of Tired Eyes
- Place two spoons in the freezer for 1 minute or until they are cool. Take them out and place them in your closed eyes. This will decrease the puffiness.
- Get two tea bags and soak it in hot water for 5 minutes. Remove the tea bag and let it cool. When cooled, put it on your closed eyes. You can do this every night. Wash your face with room temperature water.
- Dip two cotton balls in cold milk. Place them on your closed eyes or just underneath the lower eye lids. Wash face with room temperature water.
- Another proven remedy for tired eyes is placing two slices of cucumber on your eyes. It will refresh your eyes and remove the puffiness.
- Get a bowl of cool water and add a few drops of lavender oil. Soak two cotton balls and place just below the lower eye lids.
- You can also wash your face regularly with cool water to avoid getting that tiredness look in your eyes.
- Rub your hands together until they are warm. Close your eyes and put your palms on the eye orbits. Do not press them, just cover them gently. Breathe deeply and slowly visualize the color black. Do this few times every day.
- Sometimes the cause of eyestrain is a lot more serious such as misalignment, where one eye starts to turn in and out. If that is the case, the problem needs to be treated by an ophthalmologist who can suggest specific exercises or prescribe special prism glasses.