Eye fatigue or eye strain is the common symptom faced by many individuals in recent times; it is partly attributed to the way we are living; more of desk work, watching television for a long time and less of outdoor activities.
Eye fatigue or asthenopia is caused due to overuse of eye muscles, and ciliary body tissues behind the iris.
Causes Of Eye Fatigue Or Asthenopia
Some other causes of eye fatigue are:
- Focusing eye on one object for a long time e.g. prolonged reading, watching TV for a long time, working on a computer for long hours without giving rest to eyes.
- Watching TV at a close distance, the glare and brightness of TV and computer are the reasons for eye fatigue.
- Reading in dim light, direct glare for sunlight can also cause eye fatigue; it is for that reason people wear sun glasses in summer to avoid direct glare of the sun.
- Refractory errors.
- Less blinking.
Eye Fatigue Symptoms
- 80 to 90 percent of people, who use computer for more than two hours, are likely to suffer from computer eye syndrome
- Constant focusing on computer can cause spasm of eye muscles leading to pseudo myopia or transient nearsightedness
- Blurred vision of distance objects after prolonged computer use
- Astigmatism and wrinkling of cornea
- Dry eyes
- Irritation and itching of eyes
- Double vision
- Shoulder pain and backache are the concomitant symptoms in people who work for long hours on the desk
Treatment For Eye Strain
- Take a break for few minutes if you are working on a computer for a long time
- Close your eyes for some time and give rest to eyes. Massage temples in a circular motion for some time
- Blinking is a good eye exercise which relaxes your eye muscles
- Use an anti glare screen for computer users is very helpful. Use glasses of pink or grey tints to decrease the glare
- Wear polarized sunglasses when you go out in the sun
- Blink your eye frequently when you use a computer
- Use of tear substitutes if blinking does not relieve dryness
If all the home treatments fail, you have to consult an ophthalmologist. It is advisable to go for an annual ophthalmic checkup when you are doing visually intense task.