Sunken eyes are often associated with dark circles which give a typical unhealthy and exhausted appearance to the individual. These uniform and dark areas under the eye have a darker pigmentation compared to the rest of the skin, which gives a typical sunken eye appearance. There are several factors that are responsible for sunken eye appearance.
As per the MayoClinic, a variety of lifestyle habits are associated with the appearance of sunken eyes. Thinning of the skin which is often associated with aging or undue exposure to sun are the most common causes.However, other factors including dietary deficiencies, fasting or dieting, prolonged illness, etc are also associated with deep-set eyes.
Dark pigmentation under the eye is the most common manifestation of sunken eyes. However other symptoms that may be associated with sunken eyes include weakness, tiredness, lack of sleep, irritability, etc. Fad diets associated with weight loss programs also result in sunken eyes, which is specifically caused due to dietary and nutritional deficiencies.
How To Get Rid Of Sunken Eyes?
Diet plays a crucial role in the management of sunken eyes. Here are some dietary recommendations for the management of sunken eyes,
- Vitamin A is considered highly beneficial in the management of dark circles under the eyes. Increase the intake of foods that are high in carotene content, such as: green leafy vegetables like spinach, broccoli, etc. along with carrots and capsicum. Liver and fish are also good sources of vitamin A, however excessive consumption of animal liver is associated with vitamin toxicity.
- Vitamin E is another essential vitamin for healthy skin. Nuts, seeds and vegetable oils are good sources of vitamin E. Also, fruits like kiwifruit and mangoes are good sources of vitamin E. Soy, broccoli, spinach, tomato, flax seeds, almonds, etc. supply vitamin E in abundance as well.
- Vitamin C also plays a key role in enhancing general health, and is essential for healthy and beautiful skin. Citrus fruits like lemon, lime, oranges, etc. are loaded with vitamin C. Increase your intake of these fresh fruits.
- Lack of sleep or sleep disturbances are associated with dark circles and sunken eyes. Mood foods like fresh fruits, low fat dairy products etc. help in improving sleep and also boost skin health.
Home Remedies For Sunken Eyes And Dark Circles
Here are some simple tips for the management of sunken eyes,
- Local application of slice of raw potato or cucumber is considered beneficial. It helps in softening the delicate skin under the eye and also helps in providing essential nutrients and vitamins to the skin.
- Local application of freshly squeezed lemon juice is beneficial too. Lemon juice is natural bleach and helps remove dead skin and debris accumulated on the skin.
- Ensure that you remain well hydrated. Take plenty of fluids, up to 12 glasses a day or a minimum of three liters of water.
- Local application of almond oil helps tone the skin under the eye and makes it look healthy.
- Alternate hot and cold compress is considered effective in the management of sunken eyes as well. Local application of warm teabags helps in improving circulation of blood around the orbit, and thereby reduces pigmentation and dark circles.
- Stress and lack of sleep are factors that are responsible for sunken eyes. Herbs like turmeric and St. Johns Wort are considered beneficial in improving sleep cycles and preventing the occurrence of dark circles.