Even if you cry silently in your bathroom or in the darkness of theater, you cannot conceal its telltale sign; the blood shot puffy eyes and swollen face. Crying is natural; it is strong sign of emotion whether the pearly rolling tears are due to fear, anger, grief or laughter. After crying, many people feel relieved of their stress because it increases the adrenaline push.
But there are people who may not like puffy eyes which linger on for few minutes to hours after a crying spell. Fortunately, there are several measures including home remedies that help to get rid of swollen eyes after crying before anyone realizes your emotional outburst.
What Causes Puffy Eyes After Crying?
Human brain is a marvelous organ. Each and every tissue of the body is controlled by brain through its enormous network of nerves. The tear glands situated in the eyelids are also controlled by the brain. Thus when you cry, brain releases message to secrete excess of tears to the lachrymal gland. Tears are made up of salt and oily substance.
The salty substance in the tears is actually responsible for puffiness of eyes. Since the skin under the eyes is thin, the salty substance in tears causes irritation to it and the eyelids.Due to irritation, the watery substance in tears starts accumulating in the thin skin underneath the eyes leading to puffiness and swelling.
Home Remedies Get Rid Of Puffy Eyes After Crying
To remove puffiness under the eyes after crying you do not have to visit a drug store. All the materials needed are just a distance away in your kitchen.
- Pour one or two glasses of water in a bowl. Add few ice cubes from the refrigerator. Let the water become ice cold. Now soak a clean cloth in the bowl and wring it to remove excess of water. Place the cloth on your eyes as a cold compress for ten minutes or until it gets warm and dry. Repeat it two to three times.
- Keep a teaspoon inside the freezer for 10 to 15 minutes till it becomes chilled. Remove the spoon and place it on your puffy eyes till it becomes warm. Repeat it frequently until you see inflammation under the eyes and eyelids has decreased.
- Wash your face and eyes with cold water. Cold contracts the dilated tiny vessels in the skin underneath the eyes. As a result, the excess fluid seeps in the circulating blood and thus the inflammation is reduced.
- Cold tea bags are also beneficial for reducing puffiness of eyes after drying. Dip a tea bag in cold water. Press it to remove excess of water. Now place the cold tea bags on your closed eyes for 10 minutes. The anti oxidants present in tea will reduce the inflammation in the skin under the eyes.
- Cold slices of cucumber and potato are time tested home remedies to get rid of puffiness of eyes. Place ice cold cucumber slices on your closed eyes for 10 to 15 minutes, frequently till the swelling is no longer apparent.