Eye bag or puffy eye is most common in old age. But if this occurs in adulthood then this can be sign of concern. The liver and/or kidney are being over worked and undernourished.
Usually a small area beneath each eye appears puffy. It looks like they are being over-worked and undernourished. The skin around eyes becomes thin and delicate. Though, bags under eyes may be a symptom of old age or overwork, there are many other reasons for puffiness under the eyes. For example your eyes may become puffy due to infection in eyes, allergy, insect bite, blockage of tear glands etc.
If it is due to a pathological cause such as an insect bite, there may be associated itching and burning around the area. Person consuming large amount of alcohol regularly may have swelling under his eyes. Crying for a long period of time may also result in puffiness under the eyes. It is because the tiny glands of eyelids which secrete tears get inflamed. Insomnia, lack of sleep, may also strain the eye muscles and the skin over it giving rise to puffiness.
How To Prevent Puffy Eyes?
- Do not drink liquor. Use of tobacco is to be completely stopped. Limit your salt intake in your dietary items.
- Improve your diet by switching to nutritious food such as fresh fruits, vegetables, whole grains, nuts and legumes.
- Greasy, processed, tinned and junk food may seem to be nice because you can get it so quick, but the under-nourishment it is causing is wearing out your body.
- Caffeine products only whip the tired horse. Instead you should try to get proper good night sleep. This will energize you to do your work and you may not require temporary stimulation as coffee.
- Avoid doing work which requires you to bend over. This will intensify bag formation under your eyes. Sleep on your back.
- Sleep for at least 7 to 8 hours at night. Good amount of sleep gives rest to muscles of eyes and relaxes the strained skin under the eyes.
Natural Remedies For Reducing Bags Under Eyes
- Wrap ice cubes in a cloth and apply to the area for quick relief from eye bags.
- Barley seeds are very useful in this condition. One should take 15 to 20 barley seeds in a liter of water. Boil this for 15 to 20min. Strain the liquid and drink this in a day’s time. Continue this till the swelling under your eyes reduces.
- Cucumber should be added into your daily salads as this causes diuretic action and helps in removal of excess fluid retained into the body.
- Magnesium sulphate dressing is helpful in reducing eye swelling. This small dressing of magnesium sulphate should be applied twice a day for 1 to 2 hours at a time. This can also be used in case of swelling in legs or any other parts.
- Place cool tea bags on the puffy area under the eyes. Moisten one or two tea bags in cool water and keep it in refrigerator for a while. Once they are chilled place them over the swollen area under the eye lid. Keep them for 5 to 10 minutes daily.