Question: Why my eyes have become red and swollen. My eyes have become puffy. What is the reason?
Answer: It is said that the eyes tell it all no matter how hard you try to hide it whether it is a sleepless night or heavy drinking. The swelling and redness of eyes say it all. Aside from lifestyle circumstances, red and puffy eyes also result from many eye ailments.
When the blood vessels on the surface of the eye become dilated it results in redness. In some cases redness is acute and persists for few days.
Causes Of Red Eyes And Swollen Eyelids
One of the most common causes of red eyes is allergy. Several allergens are present in environment, a person may be allergic to dust, smoke, dry air, pollen, animal dander, chemical fumes etc. Even after eating certain foods and medicines a person may suffer from redness and puffiness in his eyes. Often there is associated watering, swelling and itching of eyes with allergy.
The other common possibility for red and puffy eyes is lack of sleep. In such cases a proper 7 to 8 hours of sleep eliminates redness after few days.
Viral and bacterial infections of eyes are common culprit for redness and other symptoms of eyes. Viral conjunctivitis is common and often it is an epidemic. Person will complain of redness and itching with pain in eyes. There is excessive flow of tears. Sometimes person may complain of blurred vision. Viral conjunctivitis lasts for few days but it is contagious and spreads through contact or articles used by a person to a non infected individual. The condition has high probability of secondary bacterial infection. In bacterial eye infection the discharge is yellow. Common bacterial organism affecting eye is staphylococci.
Symptoms Of Eye Problems
Was there any history of injury to the eye? This may also give rise to red eye.
- If there is severe pain associated with redness and swelling, a serious condition called glaucoma has to be ruled out. In glaucoma, patient complains of headache and excessive flow of tears. Often when the pressure inside the eye increases there is associated vomiting together with headache.
- Foreign body in the eye causes itching, irritation, watering, and pain in eyes. The affected eye becomes red.
- Red eye and swelling of the eye lid can be associated with styes and cahalazion. A stye is hard bump on the border of eyelid. Bacteria infiltrate from the roots of eyelashes.
- Measure your blood pressure because some times in hypertension the eye becomes red. An ophthalmologist opinion regarding red corner of the eye is always necessary.
- Your eyes may become red if they are dry. Usually it occurs in dry and windy climate. Constant work on computers may result in dryness.
Home Remedies For Red Puffy And Swollen Eyes
Following are simple ways to treat some eye problems.
- It seems obvious; if your red eyes are a result of not getting enough sleep, find a way to catch up on your rest. Sleep for 7 to 8 hours as it helps to rehydrate your eyes. Without sleep, the eyes become dry and red.
- If your eyes are red when you wake up, the problem most often is in your eyelids. You can treat it by washing your eyelids with warm water at night before you go to bed. Make sure you clean the lids so that the debris, oils, bacteria or dandruff on lashes are removed.
- When allergy is the cause, use of antihistamines helps to alleviate the condition.
- When dryness is the cause, use cool wet washcloth and lay it over your closed eyes. Cold will constrict the blood vessels and water will add moisture to the affected dry eyes.
- Cut your finger nails and avoid scratching your eyes even if they itch. This will aggravate the condition.
- Apply cold tea bag on closed eyes. It reduces swelling, redness and pain in the eyes.
- When bacterial infection is suspected, antibiotic eye drops are valuable in alleviating the infection.
- Usually a viral eye infection does not need treatment. The condition resolves after few days without any medicine.
- If there is an injury, consult an ophthalmic surgeon as soon as possible.