Cucumber is a widely cultivated vegetable in many parts of world. It’s astounding cooling and refreshing effect on eyes has made it a popular home remedy for tired eyes. Cucumber as a natural beauty product has been in use since generations. Ancient people knew the benefits of cucumber long time ago. In recent times many skin care products contain extract of cucumber as one of its content.
Cucumber is applied in grated form or cut into slice and placed on the face and eyes as a beauty aid. It is also best tonic for skin around the eyes.The main benefits of cucumber are due to its antioxidant content and anti inflammatory properties. It has high mineral content and a source of potassium, sodium, sulfur, silicon, and magnesium. There are numerous benefits of cucumber, let us see its traditional benefits on eyes.
Health Benefits Of Keeping Cucumber On Eyes
- Cucumber curtails puffiness and boggy eyes. It is mainly due to ascorbic acid and caffeic acid present in cucumber. Both help in reducing water retention around the eyes. Cut cold cucumber into slices and place them on your eyes for 15 to 20 minutes daily to reduce swelling around the eyes.
- Cucumber is time tested home remedy for treating dark circles around the eyes. Eye strain is mainly responsible for dark circles under the eyes. The tiny blood vessels around the eyes become inflamed and it gives an appearance of dark circles. Place chilled slices of cucumber on your eyes. Cold compression constricts the blood vessels around the eyes and thus reduces the darkness. The added advantage is it makes the skin around the eyes more glowing and brighter.
- Cucumber acts as a revitalizer for the skin. It firms up the skin around the eyes when slices of cucumber are placed on the eyes for 20 to 30 minutes daily for few weeks. In this way it helps to fade away hair line wrinkles which appear near the eyes.
- This vegetable is an effective remedy for sunburn around the eyes. Its watery content and anti inflammatory properties heal sunburn within few days without leaving any blemishes on skin around the eyes. Rub gently cool slices of cucumber on the sunburn area. You can also place grated cucumber on the sunburn for 10 to 20 minutes two to three times in a day to heal sunburn around the eyes.
- Potassium and vitamin E present in cucumber is a natural remedy to get rid of fine lines and wrinkles. After repeated application of cucumber pulp on the area around the eyes, the lines vanish. It is therefore considered to be a best anti aging vegetable among all the vegetables.
- For dry skin around the eyes, cucumber is a perfect moisturizer. Almost 90 percent of cucumber is made up of water. It acts as a great moisturizer when the pulp is placed on dry skin around the eyes.