Thyroid is a gland in the neck region; it acts as body’s thermostat, controlling its basic tick-over speed. Hypothyroidism is a condition in which the thyroid gland fails to function adequately, resulting in reduced level of thyroid hormone deficiency in the body.
Causes Of Thyroid Deficiency
The causes of thyroid deficiency include iodine deficiency, which is a major cause in many regions where iodine in absent in the soil. Some medical treatments such as surgery or radiation to the thyroid gland, or drugs such as phenylbutazone may also cause thyroid deficiency. Failure of pituitary gland to stimulate thyroid gland can also result into thyroid deficiency symptoms.
Thyroid Deficiency Symptoms
Symptoms of thyroid deficiency or low thyroid function symptoms are
- Fatigue and sluggishness: slowness in daily activity such as walking, and mental fatigue is an initial symptoms many people experience as thyroid deficiency symptom.
- Depressed muscular activity and pain in the muscle and joints while performing daily routine work is another symptom of thyroid deficiency.
- Slow pulse.
- Low blood pressure.
- Decreased immunity resulting in recurrent infections of upper respiratory tract.
- Skin becomes dry, pale and hair loss.
Symptoms Of Hypothyroidism
- Weight gain.
- Non pitting edema in lower legs.
- Sensitivity to cold.
- Heavy menses and premenstrual tension is often a symptom of thyroid deficiency observed in women.
- Infertility in men and women is a possibility if the deficiency of thyroid hormone remains for a long time untreated.
- Drooping and swollen eyes.
Thyroid Deficiency Treatment
- Eat food naturally high in iodine such as fish, white onions, potatoes, and asparagus.
- Eat fortified iodized salt in food preparation.
- Avoid food that slow down the functioning of thyroid, such as cabbage, cauliflower, maize, sweet potatoes, spinach etc.
- Avoid taking antihistamines.
- Increase food containing vitamin B-complex such as grains, nuts and seeds.
Thyroid deficiency can be detected by simple blood test for thyroid hormone T3, T4, TSH.
TSH is elevated in low thyroid hormone level.