Question: I’d bruises and took blood test. Doctor assumed, I was anemic but I’d low platelets. Now I’m taking blood tests every week and platelet counts keep on going up and down. Is there a way to increase platelets count faster?
Treatment to Increase Platelet Count
The condition when your Platelet count falls below 150,000 is called Thrombocytopenia (i.e. low platelet count). If you are suffering from thrombocytopenia and want to increase platelet count naturally, here are some suggestions that you should follow:
- Avoid all refined food stuffs including sugars, saturated fats, processed foods and grains, aerated drinks. These foods are known causes of platelet count fall.
- Consume a lot of healthy food. This includes fresh and organic foods. This will help in stimulating the body’s internal mechanism and increase your platelet count.
- Ensure that you thoroughly wash you wash raw food before consuming them as helminthes, parasites and viruses are known to cause a fall in the platelet count.
- Use cod liver oil or flax seed oils. They strengthen the immune system, reduce inflammation, improve circulation and increase your ratio of HDL (High Density Lipoproteins) to LDL (Low Density Lipoproteins).
- Tomatoes and berries are loaded with vitamins and minerals and have strong anti-oxidant qualities which will help you increase platelet count.
- Consume a lot of green and leafy vegetables. It increases the hemoglobin level of blood and helps tackle the underlying cause of low levels of platelet count.
- Vitamin and mineral supplements taken regularly, will also enhance your immunity and ability to fit diseases that may aggravate fall in platelet count.
Question: I have been diagnosed with a low platelet count. It is 83,000, but I’m perfectly fine. I do all my day’s work and feel bit fatigued by the end of the day. My
- Mean platelet volume is 9.9
- RBC is 5.71
- Hemoglobin is 17.7
- Total WBC – 9400
Can you please suggest a treatment?
Platelets are a constituent of the blood and promote clotting of blood, which is essential for hemostatis and prevents undue blood loss following trauma or injury. Ideal platelet count ranges from 150,000 to 450,000 platelets per microlitre of blood. If the platelet count falls below 150,000 it is referred to as Thrombocytopenia (i.e. low platelet count). There are several causes of thrombocytopenia some of the common causes include,
- Aplastic or Megaloblastic Anemia
- Chronic Alcoholism
- Viral infection or sepsis
- Immune disorders
- Hematological malignancies
There is no serious risk of bleeding until the platelet count falls very low to 10000 to 20000 platelets per microlitre. Occasionally bleeding is observed with a count less than 50,000 platelets per microlitre. The duration of thrombocytopenia will depend upon the cause and may range from a few days to years.
Raise Low Platelet Count, Recovering from Thrombocytopenia
- Management depends upon the cause. You suffer from mild thrombocytopenia and no treatment is required for the same.
- If you suffer from serious bleeding you may require blood or platelet transfusion and occasionally removal of the spleen.
- You could try homeopathic remedy to increase platelet count – Mellifolium 30, 8 pills twice a day. It will help you improve platelet count and avert bleeding.