Hormones play a vital part in controlling body functions. Even a slight imbalance / disparity in their levels, can adversely affect the body and its functioning. It is therefore, essential to know the cause and the various effects of hormonal imbalance in women.
Causes Of Hormonal Imbalance In Women
Estrogen and progesterone are 2 key female hormones. A hormonal imbalance occurs when the ratio of the two hormones deviates from normal.
Hormonal imbalance in young women is caused due to:
- Over nutrition / malnutrition
- Inconsistent lifestyle
- Early-onset menopause
- Prolonged use of contraceptive pills
- Ovarian failure
- Thyroid disorders
- Smoking reduces testosterone levels. Chemicals in tobacco deactivate the normal functioning of testosterone and set off their translation in to estrogen.
- Cancer and cancer treatment like chemotherapy affects hormone balance.
- Prolonged use of anabolic steroids has detrimental effects.
- Stress has unfavorable effects on DHEA (synthesized by the adrenal glands and works with testosterone to maintain a healthy reproductive system.)
- Diet plays a pivotal part in hormone imbalance. Consumption of refined foods, processed foods, saturated fats, and hydrogenated oils affects the production of testosterone.
Female Hormone Imbalance Symptoms
Symptoms of hormone imbalance in young women include
- Irregular menstrual cycle
- Water retention
- Abdominal bloating
- Polycystic ovary syndrome
- Fibrocystic breasts
- Night sweats
- Hot flushes
- Loss of libido
- Mood swings
- Headaches and migraines
- Weight gain
Symptoms In Men
- Fatigue and weariness
- Loss of libido and sexual dysfunction,
- Decreased muscle mass
- Poor hair and skin quality
Treatment For Hormone Imbalance In Young Women
- The treatment depends on the cause of the hormonal imbalance. The cause ought to be treated along with the hormone imbalance.
- Imbalance due to thyroid malfunctioning is managed by administering daily doses of that normalize the thyroid functioning.
- HRT is another form of treatment for hormonal imbalances.
- A proper and nutritious diet, regular exercise and a consistent lifestyle pattern are important aspects to mange hormone imbalances and their symptoms effectively.
Treatment in Men
- First and foremost you need to follow a regular and consistent lifestyle.
- The diet ought to be wholesome and nutritious. Steer clear of refined and processed foods. Step up the intake of anti-oxidants, they fortify the body and enhance normal functions.
- Regular exercise is advocated.
- Most importantly, de-stressing and optimal stress management is crucial.