Question: My left ear is clogged/plugged. My right one just unplugged during the night but the left one is very hard to hear out of. What can I do at home to relieve it? Please suggest how to clear stopped up ears?
Clogged Ear Remedies
- Blocked ears with mild or moderate hearing loss may be caused due to the following,
- Wax collection and impaction is a common problem. Foreign body (fly, dust, etc) may also be impacted in the ear causing the sensation
- Common cold, sinusitis or nasal catarrh is associated with blocked sensation of ear. Loss of hearing may be a result of the blocked sensation, which is temporary in nature.
- Infection of the internal (Otitis Media) or external (Otitis Externa) ear canal is associated with extreme pain, sensation of ear blockage and hearing loss
- Inflammation of the ear drum or a perforation of the dear drum due to trauma or infection could result in both loss of hearing and sensation of blockage
- A low frequency hearing loss can also cause a sensation of ear plugging
Sudden hearing loss is a critical condition and requires immediate medical attention. It may have occurred due to blocked blood supply of the inner ear.
Treatment for Blocked Ears
- Make sure you avoid water from entering into the ear to prevent ear blockage.
- Pinch your nose and try to push air through your Eustachian tube into the ears to cure clogged ears.
- Plug cotton balls into the earplug before you go for a bath to prevent water from entering the ear. You may also apply Vaseline to the cotton balls to give a soothing feeling and alleviate pain.
- Homeopathic Remedy, Pulsatilla 6x, 4 pills, every 4 hours will relieve the sensation, if the sensation and hearing loss is attributed to sinusitis or nasal catarrh.
- Consult your ENT physician at the earliest for plugged ear treatment.